O’Reilly and CarQuest motor oil opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you all think of O’Reilly Motor Oil (Conventional) and CarQuest Conventional?
They have O’Reilly motor oil on sale here for $15.99 - 5qts and MicroGuard filter. You can upgrade to a Wix filter for $2.00 more. Seems like a good deal.

My dad has a friend who owns the local CarQuest here in my area. I am debating on taking my business there for everything. They have their house brand CarQuest Conventional for $19.99 for 5qts. I’d have to dump another $3.70 on a filter. I wouldn’t mind the cost so much as long as the oil was good stuff (the bottles indicate that it is made by Warren-Unilube) — I am all about supporting local business, which usually ends up costing more.

I normally go 4,500mi on my oil changes. This is all going in a Dodge Grand Caravan (has 99k on it) . The van uses a little oil (about .5 qts in 3k). I am running Napa Conventional in it now.

I do not shop at Walmart so going there for stuff isn’t an option for me. I know I could probably get a better deal there, but I really can’t bring myself to even go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
All oils that meet the latest spec [SAE SN} are good oils. Supporting your father's friend sounds like a good idea. He might even give you a discount.

I am pretty certain the Carquest house brand oil is made by Ashland. It will be nearly identical to the Napa branded oil your using. The napa and Carquest filters are also identical just painted differently. I would say support your buddy.

warren-Unilube makes good stuff. no worries there.(if you are in northern KY, near a Meijer location, Warren-unilube also makes their house brand oil) also the Carquest Filters are Made by Wix. the reds are a nitrile ADBV(basically the same as the Microgaurd, and a napa silver i think), while the premium blue can has the slicone(slicon?) ADBV, like the regular WIX, or Napa Gold.

Pay the extra $2.00 for the Wix Oil Filter. The oil is OK for your 6 year old vehicle as long as it is SN rated.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Pay the extra $2.00 for the Wix Oil Filter. The oil is OK for your 6 year old vehicle as long as it is SN rated.

Carquest Blue Filter = Wix/Napa Gold

Car Quest will be gone shortly.They were bought out by Advance Auto,and have been shuttering CQ locations and replacing them with AAP.

Just read an article about big box "home improvement" stores. Sales are down because there are fewer people who know which end of a hammer to pick up. Hope the same doesn't happen to car parts stores. Remember the famous GM "I don't know ANYTHING about cars and I don't want to know -- Mr. Goodwrench takes care of me" ads?
Video was of some goof and his "better half" standing next to what ever GM was shilling that year. Mr. Goodwrench took care of HIM alright.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Oreilly brand oil is loaded with sodium if that matters to you. Seems like that's a way to cut costs since calcium is a more costly detergent. You can do better IMO.

Not sure on the CQ oil, but if its comparable to Napa, it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the feedback! It seems like I looked at a bottle of CarQuest oil that my granddad had and I was under the impression it was made by Warren Unilube. A few years have passed and I have slept since then. I will double check their vendor and report back. If it is Ashland then I will probably start buying at CarQuest.

Carquest oil is the same as Napa brand oil, both are bottled by Ashland. I used it in my truck for a while, it is a good oil, very similar but not exactly the same as Valvoline. I have heard some of the independent Carquest stores are staying open. I would say support your local Carquest if you can.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Car Quest will be gone shortly.They were bought out by Advance Auto,and have been shuttering CQ locations and replacing them with AAP.

Incorrect. There was a merger, but AA did not buy all Carquest stores. Carquest will continue to operate a limited number of its stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back