O'Reilly 10W-30, 2,654 miles, 2000 Tundra V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sample was the first rinse phase after a clean phase with Auto-Rx. I just started the second clean phase using O'Reilly 10W-30 again after this OCI. When I did the first clean phase, I used an existing fill of Schaeffers 7000 10W-30 that already had about 2000 miles on it.

Blackstone Labs
Engine 2UZ-FE
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD 4X4
Air Filter Microgard (O'Reilly store brand made by Purolator)
Oil Filter Wix 1516
Oil O'Reilly 10W-30 SM conventional (I don't know who makes it)
Zero make-up oil
Total miles on engine 144,604
Miles on sample 2,654

Blackstone comments:
JACK: This does appear to be a different type oil and it looks like it is curing your bearing woes. Note the drop in lead,
which only comes from bearings. If you stay with this type oil for another sample we think the lead will drop again,
regardless of the oil use miles, which up to this point have been brief. The oil read like a 5W/30 in viscosity but still, it appears to work really well in your Tundra engine. Our average oil sample from this type engine has 5,910 miles on it
so go ahead and kick the miles back up to 5,000 next sample. Miles didn't cause the high lead.

Analysis:

Element/UOA/Unit Avg/Universal Avg
Aluminum/1/1/2
Chromium/0/0/0
Iron/3/3/7
Copper/1/2/5
Lead/3/8/3
Tin/0/1/0
Molybdenum/22/125/60
Nickel/0/0/0
Manganese0/0/1
Silver/0/0/0
Titanium/0/0/0
Potassium/0/0/1
Boron/7/10/56
Silicon/16/11/14
Sodium/3/2/10
Calcium/2166/2618/2314
Magnesium/8/13/97
Phosphorus/767/707/676
Zinc/923/818/805
Barium/0/2/0

SUS@210F/55.3/59-65
cSt@100C/8.85/9.9-11.9
Flashpoint/405F/>375
Fuel%/ Antifreeze%/0.0/0.0
Water%/0.0/ Insolubles%/0.3/ TBN/not done

Here is a link to my previous UOA's:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1044552

I really didn't plan to do a UOA on this oil fill. I was having a few problems with my cooling system (seals leaking) while using DexCool by mistake. I wanted to make sure that I didn't have any anti-freeze in the oil. It looks like I'm OK for now. Toyota Red is in there again, so I have my fingers crossed. I'm also very happy to see that ARX may just be all that it's advertised to be. Cleaning up the bearings may have been just what the doctor ordered. This sample also shows the best fuel% I've seen on this vehicle. I can't really point my finger at what might have helped. Some things that I consider to be helpful for this situation and are different from my last UOA with Dyson are:
-the sample was taken about an hour after a 280 mile drive
-ARX may have cleaned up the ring packs to allow for better combustion
-all 4 O2 sensors were replaced during recent new JBA headers installation

Some miscellaneus stuff:
-the oil sheared to a 20W, this also happened with Schaeffers 7000 10W-30 on my previous UOA. It looks like it even surprised Blackstone by their comment about shearing like a 5W-30. I guess that's just the cost of earning the energy conservation seal of approval!
-silicon was higher than usual, even with a fairly new air filter (5K miles at sample). It may just be organic to the oil itself. I don't see much evidence of dirt on the wear metals.
-I think O'Reilly store brand oil is a good choice for those considering a decent, economical conventional oil (especially for ARX treatments). It's $9.99/5 quart jug, and I think they even have a better sale than that going on right now.
-Blackstone's comment about a different type of oil is related to trying something other than group III (PP and ML syn) that they had tested in my 3 previous UOA's. Here's their comments from my last PP 10W-30 UOA from them:

JACK: Wear metals read close to what they did in your last sample. However, the wear rate (ppm/mile)
increased and that is a possible sign of some excess wear developing. The universal averages for typical
wear metals in oil from the Toyota 4.7L are based on a 5600-mile oil change interval and lead should
read around 2 ppm. The bearings might be showing their age. The TBN was 4.2, plenty of active additive
left. 1.0 is too low a reading on our scale. Bearings can react differently to different oil. You may want to
try something else then check back for another look.

Yeah, as of last weekend (05/31/08) they had a special at OReiily where you could get one of their OReilly branded MicroGuard oil filters and a 5qt jug of that OReilly branded motor oil for $7.99. Manager at the OReilly's where I bought said the oil was OEM'd by Mobil and the filter by Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back