Oregon road tax pilot program?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
It depends on what you're driving-I was hoping someone had heard more details, here in OH the State is just tacking on a flat $200 on the registration. Not sure if OR is going to eliminate their gas tax? I would bet they're not...

It seems that a person that drives their EV very few miles per year will save a lot on registration fees. Those that drive a lot with their EV will pay less registration fees, but will pony up more per-mile charges to make up for them not paying gas pump taxes. Someone else will have to do a cost analysis comparing taxes/fees paid of a gas vehicle vs. EV (electricity charge + road fees).

From their handout:
"Oregon raises money to maintain roads and bridges through gas tax
paid at the pump and vehicle fees. But with more vehicles getting
much better fuel efficiency, many people are paying far less in gas
taxes while using the road just as much.
OReGO was designed to
ensure drivers pay for what they use – miles of road – instead of what
they consume – gallons of fuel."

They are reducing the incentive to operate an EV.

I figure once they figure out how they can really pick the pockets of EV drivers we can all bend way over. Government built and run charging stations are going to be a real cash cow if that hair brain scheme ever comes to fruition.

Georgia is great for folks who keep older vehicles for a long time. Just $20 a year. That's it unless you happen to live in metro-Atlanta which requires an annual emissions. Vehicles 25 years and older are completely exempt from emissions and I get to see quite a few in my travels.

Georgia is great for folks who keep older vehicles for a long time. Just $20 a year. That's it unless you happen to live in metro-Atlanta which requires an annual emissions. Vehicles 25 years and older are completely exempt from emissions and I get to see quite a few in my travels.
I worked on the implementation and function testing of the Atlanta, Chicago and a few other programs when I worked for the original program company. I spent some months there.

The EV will be a new taxation cash cow of the future. Lots of handwringing going on to figure out all the different ways to do it.

The EV will be a new taxation cash cow of the future. Lots of handwringing going on to figure out all the different ways to do it.

The point being is that EVs are not paying gas taxes-like the rest of us.

Would love to hear from you how they should "just" pay their fair share.

The point being is that EVs are not paying gas taxes-like the rest of us.

Would love to hear from you how they should "just" pay their fair share.
Don't worry, they will figure out how to tax EVs too, and it will happen sooner than later. States aren't going to let tax revenue slip through their fingers for very long.

Sure, EVs should pay equivanent road taxes, as discussed in the other EV Tax thread that's now locked.

So there's also a tax on bicycles and the aformentioned 40+ MPG (conventional powertrain?) cars.

Seems like a moral hazard to me, get punished for being cheap.

I suppose the question as to how to tax EVs can be answered by saying, well, this is the average household's electricity consumption, anything above it will get taxed at a higher rate. Sounds dumb but they're saying the average all-gas car gets 20-25 MPG and the state expects everyone to chip in that much.

They should pay tax per kilowatt. This is really a west of the mountains thing for the most part. Oregon has huge areas with nothing so no EV will be traveling there.

With license plate reader these days it is just a matter of time when gas tax would be replaced with all toll entrance / exit, or regular wireless OBD mileage reading.

Welcome to Texas.

Oregon has been charging a mileage tax on over the road trucks for decades. That is why the diesel price you see posted at truck stops say "With PUC." As for EVs, I just found out Arizona charges almost nothing for the license on an EV, so EV owners (which I plan to be real soon when my Mach 3 gets in) will get a double savings. Good for me, not so good for the roads.

Remember GA has the TVAT which is a one-time tax paid at time of sale. Annual registration for plates is just $25.

I figure once they figure out how they can really pick the pockets of EV drivers we can all bend way over. Government built and run charging stations are going to be a real cash cow if that hair brain scheme ever comes to fruition.

On the stations...will government build them?

Or will free enterprise build them? My guess is the latter.

Both are fully capable of ripping us off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back