Options on the Honda fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I decided to spec out a honda fit as an addition to my fleet as a commuter car - I wouldnt likely buy one fora few years, and maybe they wouldnt even be available then... but I wanted to see what you could get.

It seems that the options on the fit really stink. for example, the fit sport comes with an auxiliary jack for MP3, minidisc, sirius radios, but the base one doesnt - and you cant seemingly add it as an option.

The fit 'sport' is nice, but as a commuter, I wouldnt be very keen on alloy wheels and the ground effects, reducing ground clearance. Yet, it seems that you need to have the 'sport' version to be able to get, say cruise control.

Now, granted its a short trip commuter, but an aux in and cruise are options that I consider pretty necesary on any car.

so, are more of the 'upgrades' that are standard on the fit sport available if you were to build one, as compared to the info given in the brocheure and in the configurator on the Honda site???

Say you wanted a base version with the upgraded stereo and keyless entry, can you get that??? keyless I could probably install myself, but Id like a stock stereo. is it doable?

Thanks!

JMH

My plan is to spec out a Fit base model, get an aftermarket Honda air-con and install it separately, and also gonna replace factory stock speakers with aftermarket ones (Pioneers most likely).

I know their price stinks but I cannot justify myself for owning a Nissan Versa (suspiciously made south across the boarder, although it comes with alot of very appealing standard features such as 6spd manual, 1.8L engine, etc.). Had nitemares dealing with early Sentra classic (Made in Mexico) and such and their quality was, at best, questionable.

quote:

Originally posted by Quest:
My plan is to spec out a Fit base model, get an aftermarket Honda air-con and install it separately, and also gonna replace factory stock speakers with aftermarket ones (Pioneers most likely).

I believe AC is standard in the base model

Woops, just noticed you are in Canada.

So interesting to me how cars have moved up the size scale in the last 20 years. Current Accords are bigger than the first Acura Legend, Civics now are as big, or maybe bigger than my Mom's 85 Accord, and the Fit is roughly the size of earlier Civics. Wonder what will replace the Fit as Honda's tiny car years from now.

JMH: I see the following two accessories available online for the Fit:

Keyless Entry and Attachment
Genuine Honda Fit Keyless entry Kit. Adds keyless entry to the base model. Not for the Sport Model ($108.00)

Music Link Kit
IMPORTANT: Not compatible with all computers or i-Pod models. Click Here to View i-POD models and computer system requirements for using the Music Link
Genuine Honda Fit Music Link Kit, once connected to the stock factory radio it allows you to use the audio system's controls to search for and play music from an iPod (not included) and it charges the iPod battery. Does not display song information on radio display ($162.60)

PM me if you want the link to the web site.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
The fit 'sport' is nice, but as a commuter, I wouldnt be very keen on alloy wheels and the ground effects, reducing ground clearance. Yet, it seems that you need to have the 'sport' version to be able to get, say cruise control.

Maybe you could get the Sport model and sell the wheels and ground effects add ons to someone who bought the Base model?

quote:

Originally posted by AndyH:

Music Link Kit
IMPORTANT: Not compatible with all computers or i-Pod models. Click Here to View i-POD models and computer system requirements for using the Music Link
Genuine Honda Fit Music Link Kit, once connected to the stock factory radio it allows you to use the audio system's controls to search for and play music from an iPod (not included) and it charges the iPod battery. Does not display song information on radio display ($162.60)

I dont think I like that ipod link option! It limits you in the technology you can use. from what Ive read, the standard 'aux in' in the sport model lets you connect virtually anything - its likely a regular minijack. Minijack=perfect, universal... ipod connector=very limited.

I guess by the time I spend time and effort to one-up a standard stereo to one with aux in and six speakers, I might as well just pay the extra $1200 and get the fit sport with foglights, alloy wheels, and the proper aux in connector...

I wish you could actually 'option up' a car the way you liked!!!

Thanks!

JMH

Out of curiosity why buy another car if you own others?

The fixed costs of owning a car are quite high such as insurance and registration fees. I barely drive my paid for WRX (6000 miles/year) and its costs $1000/year to insure/register.

To let my car sit in driveway:
Insurance = $500
Register = $350 (goes down at least yearly)
Oil Changes x 2 + Inspection = $100/year

my cars average about $600/yr to insure, for million dollar coverage in NJ none the less.

Registration is $25-50/year.

I can choose which car I need depending upon the location Im going to, the utility required, and the fuel economy desired. It certainly doesnt save me over having less cars, but it makes up some for it, over if I had still been using my first car, my 98 Chevy S10 ZR2, which I bought new when I got my license in 98 (when gas was 80c/gallon in NJ). I still have it, and use it for a lot of different things, and plan to keep it as long as I possibly can - its justnot my DD anymore, and Im glad.

The part of the equation that only I can put a dollar value upon is the joy of owning the vehicles that I do own and enjoy. I like to learn about them, I like to tinker on them, maintain them, wash and shine them, etc. That is worth a lot to me, and I have no problem spending the money to keep them. I still manage to maximize my retirement savings, buy stuff I like, and to have recently have bought a nice house at 25 years old. Im not saying Im rich or well off, but I handle my money responsibly, do what brings me joy, and its OK.

I wouldnt buya fit unless I had to. The thing is this - I just bought a house that puts me at an 8.1 mile commute each way (according to MS streets and trips) as opposed to my old commute, which was 36.7 miles each way. I bought my saab after being rear ended in my MB - which saved my life - on I-95 in traffic - on my old commute. The car is great, my fiancee and I absolutely love it, and currently have 22k on it - but Im not so sure I care to subject it to the stop and go and short commutes where the oil may not get up to full temp even.

Im currently thinking to use my 91 BMW E30 318i, which is a great little city car, great in stop and go traffic, and which I enjoy driving. However, recently, I noticed that the dash was developing a small crack, and the one door was developing a rust spot on the weld at the bottom. Neither of these are major, and the car gets 30 MPG on the highway, and runs great... However, I enjoy cars (obviously), and know the realities of what happens sometimes when cars get older in age (particularly when theyre not diesels). If I have to sink $1000 or even $2000 into the car, fine, Ill do it without blinking. But since I like to look at cars, read about cars, and think about new cars, and since I dont know what could happen at any point when driving my new commute in my trusty BMW... I just enjoy going through the exercise of seeing what cars are offered, how Id spec them out, etc. just in case...

Plus, to add to all that wordiness, my fiancee has an acura integra that now has 175k. It runs like a top too, but is starting to develop a rust spot along one of the rear quarters. The transmission isnt all that great feeling, despite a new clutch putin by the dealer. some day itll kick the bucket too, and since they dont make integras, dont make rsxs, the tsx is overpriced (IMO), and the civic is too big, the fit might be a nice chooice for a utilitarian vehicle.

Anyway, enought typing... thanks all!

JMH

I really like the utility of the Fit, considering I own a PT Cruiser currently.

The big difference is the fuel economy. ~35mpg with a Fit versus the ~23mpg I'm getting now. It's no contest...

I just form bonds with my cars, detailing every inch, maintaining it myself, and the pride that it runs and looks showroom new 10 yrs from now...

I only purchase new vehicles, and keep them for a long time, and the cost of doing so is very worth it to me...

Good luck in your car search!

Buy a diesel, way more comfort then the Fit without sacrificing on price.

Used ones are a goldmine provided all maintenance records are available. The timing belt being #1 on the priority list, second one being the oil that was used.

I have great experience (and own) MB diesels... I wouldnt touch the VW ones, based upon friends' experiences. And if I buy a new E320 CDI - Im still running a very nice, higher priced car on short commutes - thus why the fit 'fits' the bill nice. Low price, good economy, good utility, small size, no worries.

If Honda would stick a diesel into the fit... drool...

JMH

That's upsurd and just indulging the age old my mother's sister's brother's aunt's cousin had a problem so I won't buy it!

I like to here your friend's experiences. The dealers can be a problem but easily avoided.

Honda diesel doesn't make near the power VW does so the fit would most likely be even slower.

ummmm, its a commuter car, Im not playing boy racer, autobahn driver or nascar driver... I dont need super fast 0-60 times - just a car thatfits my tall self, yet has very small exterior dimensions for city use, and gets excellent city fuel economy.

The people whom I am very close with that own VWs wont be doing so again. Interiors are nice, but age poorly and quickly. Electronics are terrible (though supposedly VW got better with that). Fuel economy isnt great in the 1.8Ts, suspensions squeak at very young ages, CELs come on for all sorts of sensors.

And, frankly, there is no VW that I would care to spend my money on as of now. I own a saab, MB, BMW, etc. I dont need to put a VW into my stable to understand fine European engneering.

When my 300D got hit, I went to the VW dealer to see about a diesel jetta or golf. They were stuck up, unwilling to give a good deal, and my new saab (bought instead) was about the same price as a jetta, and the MPG isnt that far behind. Im not that keen on the new jetta, and think that the new passat was a step backwards in design beauty. I think Ill pass on the VW until they get me something I want to buy.

Id like to see your info that says that honda diesels dont make the power, or in some other way arent as good as a VW. As an MB diesel owner and driver, I could **** on the longevity and 'wonder' of VW diesels just the same
wink.gif

Thanks anyway.

JMH

Umm, if I had a nice little e30 318i, that's all I'd drive. You can buy a dash cover fairly inexpensively and if you nip the rust in the bud, it's shouldn't be a concern.

thats the plan - you just never know, and the fit is a nice little car to replace a dead integra or 318i...

JMH

Honda can't do with 2.2l what VW can do with 1.9l is my point in diesel form.

I mean I can't argue with looks as everyone has a way to liking something they do even if it is the ugliest thing ever.

VW small 4 cylinders have always made more power then their counterparts, thats what they are good at.

All the issues the 1.8t had were small and free to get fixed and yes of course dipping your foot into a gasoline turbo engine more will give you poor economy.

Point being don't take what friends say about a car because you have way of knowing what they did to it.

VW is fine german enginnering just for economy cars
tongue.gif
Well at one point it was, everything today is justing getting bigger & more exspensive.

I understand where your coming from, I just think TDI's(older ones can't comment of the new Jetta) are great cars for the money.

Since sigs are off I own a 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, in stick and it's great.

I also see the huge markup Fits are getting around here and it makes me wonder. 15-17k for some.

Hopefully it's not that bad for you.

I would just get A/C with it as it would seem like such a pain in the rear to have retrofit it. Unless of course it's part of a package you don't want.

I almost got a 318...then I found some rust spots otherwise it was nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back