Options for mounting wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering mounting an extra set of wheels I have from one of my cars onto another, but I'm not sure if it's economically feasible to do so.

Spare Wheels: 18x8.5 5x114.3 +38 - Flat seat lug holes.

OEM Wheel size of destination car: 17x7.5 5x112 +45

As I understand it, the most popular options for this scenario include:

- Wheel adapters (potentially expensive?).
- Wobble bolts (Will not work with flat-seat lug holes).
- Re-drilling holes (Affects wheel durability).

Adapters and re-drilling seem to be my only options; are there any others that I have missed?

Last edited:
The spare wheels are a set of OEM alloys from a 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X. They're (trying) to go on a 2003 Audi A4.

Overall tire diameter difference is about 1.5% which doesn't seem too bad.

I'm actually doing this more for the rubber than the wheels. There are some decently sticky tires on those wheels which have quite a bit of tread left, but aren't getting any younger (4 years old). Since I'll be needing new summers on the A4 in spring, I figure I'd try to kill two birds with one stone.

Originally Posted By: Carbon
Interesting.

You have an interesting definition of 'interesting', friend.
lol.gif

An adapter is going to effectively subtract roughly 25 mm from the offset of the Mitsubishi wheels - and a 13 mm offset isn't going to work. Have you looked at doing a hub transplant? I know it isn't simple, but considering the size of the VW tuning community, I bet it's been done before...

There have been discussion threads on other websites about trying to adapt a set of wheels to a particular vehicle

- AND -

the concensus was that unless you have wheels that were designed to fit, you may run into trouble - and some of the problems are very dangerous in nature.

So the concensus was not to use anything except properly fitting wheels.

Last edited:
Too many potential problems to be worth trying to make it fit, no matter what method. I would just sell the spare wheels if I were you, and search CL or other classifieds for wheels that fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back