Optima Yellow Batteries

For the sake of curiosity, I am interested in trying one for my wife’s Accord that takes a 51R. We move this car in/out of the garage a lot so the battery does get cycled a bit “deeper” than it should. (And for the record, I do plan to continue a weekly trickle charging regimen to counter this unusual usage.)

Does anyone have recent experience with the Yellow Top batteries? They used to be very popular in the late 90’s/2000’s.

I just realized the other day that the Red Top in the Acura is going on almost 6 years (4/17 Sticker on top). It hasn't been my daily for 2 years now and lives on a Noco 1 most of the time. It is still going strong. Right now the TL is back in service as my daily since we're dealing with the kid's car being out of service. I thought for sure the recent cold snap might kill it off and carried my lithium booster with me but it is still good to go.

All that to say, I think the Yellow Top would be just as good if it is going to get regular trickle charges.

Think it's a waste of money along the lines of using premium gas in a car that doesn't specify it. Buy a Honda battery with a 3 year full replacement warranty and prorated to 100 months after that. That is a way better battery for much less money. Under $100 with a dealer coupon. https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~battery~31500-sr1-100m.html

JCI (now Clarios) bought them out after that, and their quality went down :sneaky:

Back then, they were the only widely-available AGM batteries, and they were mostly a novelty. Now they're even OE on some cars, and East Penn/Deka has AGM batteries out now, if you're still interested in them.

Just be glad you don't have the even-smaller 151R :D

IIRC, the V6 Accord uses size 35, so maybe that will fit in your I4 Accord. People have even installed a 24F there. There are videos on YT.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is really right in my opinion.

Or if you want a high end heavy weight legit Thin Plate Pure Lead AGM... Go with Northstar or Odyssey or Trojan or Lifeline.... Group 35 that weighs a staggering 46 to 48 pounds... That vs the heaviest flooded group 35 battery which weighs 37 pounds.

For $325 to $380 or more dollars go big with a real deal TPPL AGM. The X-2 Northstar TPPL AGM from Batteries Plus has a 4 yr free replacement warranty.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is really right in my opinion.

Or if you want a high end heavy weight legit Thin Plate Pure Lead AGM... Go with Northstar or Odyssey or Trojan or Lifeline.... Group 35 that weighs a staggering 46 to 48 pounds... That vs the heaviest flooded group 35 battery which weighs 37 pounds.

For $325 to $380 or more dollars go big with a real deal TPPL AGM. The X-2 Northstar TPPL AGM from Batteries Plus has a 4 yr free replacement warranty.
None of those options are available in a 51R and I am not interested in changing the battery size.

I hear a lot of hit or miss with them. Some swear by them for their longevity and others swear at them for not lasting as long as they though it should for the money.

I might consider upgrading to a larger Group 35 or even a 24F if it'll fit...(for the same money as a 51R) instead of spending the extra money on an OPTIMA.

*A battery maintainer is your friend.

When I researched batteries a year or so ago, nearly everything said to stay away from recent Optima batteries. I'm generally hesitant to trust forum reviews but I mean every source on the internet- not just a forum or two- reported lots of issues within warranty.

Ive had number of Optimas, including the 51R Yellow tops I used in the old Civic.

No one including Honda could find anything wrong with he Civic, but it killed batteries with some gusto, about 3 years was it. Back then you could get one with a Advance Discount reasonably.

I've had really good luck with some of them, and found the rest to be about equal to other batteries. I also found their customer service back then very good.

None of those options are available in a 51R and I am not interested in changing the battery size.

Honestly... A group 35 fits the battery tray of a 51r.... It is not too hard to get it done. And people have routinely said that was a major upgrade over the lawn mower sized 51r.
I used a group 24f in my Nissan Altima VQ that specd a group 35.

If there are no Battery Plus stores in your area... Look for a distributor for Northstar or Odyssey.... AutoZone stores near me you can order Odyssey batteries... Lifeline or Trojan could be found in your area much easier than mine.

If you are going to spend $300 or more... Go with much better built battery that are truly TPPL.

Like wrxsixeight says regularly... If you want the most out of a battery like that recharging properly makes all the difference. That's why he got 1200 deep cycles out of a Northstar TPPL AGM. In 6 plus years too.

Last edited:
Honestly... A group 35 fits the battery tray of a 51r.... It is not a issue. And people have routinely said that was a major upgrade over the lawn mower sized 51r.
I used a group 24f in my Nissan Altima VQ that specd a group 35.

If there are no Battery Plus stores in your area... Look for a distributor for Northstar or Odyssey.... AutoZone stores near me you can order Odyssey batteries... Lifeline or Trojan could be found in your area easier than mine.
Like I said, Northstar does not make a figment for 51R.

And no, I am not upsizing the battery from the factory size. It will make the area tighter than it needs to be.

Others have done it TC... It's not a hard modification. And given your tremendously gifted abilities... It would extremely easy for you.

Good luck... I'm telling you that for the money you will be spending....

Don't waste your money on a yellow top Optima.

Get a far better battery.... One worthy of that kind of money. Whether it be a Odyssey, Lifeline, or Trojan.

Last edited:
I bought an Odyssey for my BMW. It failed after two years and getting a replacement from the authorized dealer was impossible.

Had to call Enersys, Odyssey's manufacturer who ended up helped out.

After that experience, I'd rather buy Costco's AGM. The "no questions asked" customer service can't be beat.

... Look for a distributor for Northstar or Odyssey.....
Northstar ceased to exist as a transportation battery brand 14 months ago.

I've had three red top Optimas leak over the past 7 or 8 years. I only used them because my particular Ferrari spec'd them (only model Ferrari (430 Scuderia) they did this) and the battery tray won't fit anything else. (the tray has cut outs to fit around the spiral cells) They all leaked out the two black vent caps on top. When I posted about it on Ferrarichat forum, a couple Ferrari techs chimed in they had the same experience and would never use or recommend them. Optima won't even warranty them when they clearly failed...they said I modified the vent caps or some crap.

I bought a regular F430 battery tray and fitted it to my car. Then bought an Interstate AGM Group 48 from Costco earlier this year. So far so good.

Back