Optima batteries made by Clarios

I had heard that Optima batteries were made by JCI which was purchased and was rebranded as Clarios. Here is an ad I saw in this months Hot Rod digital magazine. Yes, Optima batteries are made by Clarios.

4662A6C5-2DA2-4400-89AA-F2A471A7DDD5.png

maybe they will actually improve?
the premature failures i see are ridiculous.
these were not abused either.
the cost to service life ratio is bad!
see too many gone at 2 years.
and the warranty replacement done in another 2.
i still have a few usa made ones still good.
no matter what "optima jim"says they went sharply downhill after the move to mexico.

I have yet to read where spiral wound (Optima) AGM are any better than regular AGM.
Originally they touted superior intercell connectivity. I think its a bunch of folderol.

My odysseys outlast my optimas by a factor of 2X at MIN and 4X normally.

I'm pist I glassed in Optima matched lower plates in my Sebring.

Last edited:
JCI sold their battery division. I worked for JCI many years ago and got the Óptimas for around $50 delivered to your door step. Nice perk. Odyssey batteries were and are superior but you must pay for it.

I have yet to read where spiral wound (Optima) AGM are any better than regular AGM.

Once upon a time, it was true to a point. The spiral wound cells made it easier to maintain even pressure on the plates.

Technology moved on and it became a non-issue, but they soldier on with that design, probably because its novel and sets them apart. It's a poor use of space all things considered. I've got one in my Acura, simply because I wanted to try it in that application. If Hawker/Oddysey made a more direct fit battery I'd have no problem using them as I think they are a better battery. They are what we chose back when I worked in the 12 volt industry for some of our bespoke car audio batteries and they worked quite well.

Back then they were branded as Hawker, which they've now spun off to Odyssey it looks like. They were some pretty good people to deal with. That is where the spiral wound information from above came from.

(Edited) I hadn't looked at the Hawker/Odysey line in some time. Good to see they are making more direct-fit options. Have to give them a go next time.

I’m not impressed. I had one die early in a Prius - which is as easy of a life a 12V SLA lives. Granted, the car has a constant parasitic draw from the smart key system but still, 2.8 years of use is not acceptable.

The early 2000s Optimas were great and some make it over 10 years.

The new Johnson now Clarios ones are trash. Premature failures are insane.

I don't have access to the real data but I would venture to say that we warranty replace as many optimas as we do our cheapest regular battery.

Back