Optima AGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Optima (Red) perform as good as the other generic brand from Oreilly (Super Start) or the AGM from Auto Zone? For a toyota camry...Thanks

Optima isn't what they used to be. Quality went to [censored] when Johnson Controls bought them out.

I would say they are no better than any other battery on the market now, and given the price, I no longer even consider them.

At one time I was running 9 red tops on different vehicle and tractors. I will never buy another one. The last two I bought, on the same day, were both dead before the end of a year.

Get a Deka Intimidator or an Odyssey. They are both great batteries.

Also stopped buying Optima batteries and bought whatever was on sale at the time, usually Bosch AGM or Exide AGM from Pep Boys. Out of the last 3 purchased for different cars, 1 went bad in about 11 months but they honored the full non prorated 4 year warranty and replaced it free.

thanks all, 2012 Family car, nothing extreme, I have both auto zone and orielly really close to my house, i dont expect AGM will die within 12 months and gives me any hassle.

I've also heard Optima quality took a dive several years back. AFAIK the problems were mostly with Yellow Tops, and Red Tops fared better.

Optima has had more than enough time since then to correct any problems. I have a Yellow Top right now and it's been fine for >2 years. But until it's clear that they've earned their reputation back, I wouldn't recommend them. I bought mine based on their past reputation, before updating my knowledge, and I kind of regret it. It's not a bad battery by any means, but there are plenty of other brands that are known to be good, and most of them are a lot cheaper.

Optima took a nose dive in quality, I had one last 1 year, the next one (pro-rated) lasted 2 years. They all had bad cells and died suddenly, leaving me stranded. For what they cost, no more Optimas for me. My friend had a similar experience with his Jeep, although the second one lasted a big longer.

Personally, I would get the best battery you can that is easily replaceable. For me, it is Autozone. There are several Autozones where I live that are open until 9pm. My next choice would be WalMart since they are 24/7.

Do you have Federated Parts Stores around ? They quoted me a price of $88 for a DEKA AGM 24F battery.

The primary benefit of spiral cell/ sixpack design AGMsis increased vibration resistance and case strength. Rectangular AGMs case strength and vibration resistance is already much improved over flooded batteries.

The same size group AGM battery, in a rectangualr case has more lead. More plate surface, more capacity, about 25% more capacity, meaning one can leave thoselights on for longer and likely still be able to start the engine

AGM's used as starting batteries, if INadvertently deep cycled, should not be 'trickle' charged. This will tickle them to death.

Goose them( 50% depleted AGM's) with ~30% of their rated capacity( 20 hour rate) until 14.4 to 14.7v is reached, then hold that voltage until amps taper to 0.5% of capacity.

AGMs that do get deeply cycled and do not get a true full charge soon after, are not going to last very long.

AGMs which do get the promptly applied higher amp recharge to a true 100% state of charge can and will give excellent service.

Relying on the vehicle's charging system alone, to fully charge any depleted battery, is unwise.

If that is the only charging source to be used on the battery, ever, then I would recommend sticking with flooded jars with a good warranty.

If the battery is never discharged much at all in between engine starts then its charge profile makes much less difference. It is the batteries that are asked to deliver a good portion of their capacity and then are not returned to full charge promptly, which will have dissappointing lifespans, and AGMs are less tolerant of partial state of charge living, compared to flooded.

So one can spend the extra for an AGM, which could easily perform worse in their specific usage.

^^thanks, one more question please? Would AGM battery less chance to have terminals corrosion in compare with the regular battery? I notice BENZ and BMW rarely have terminal corrosion? Thanks

Originally Posted By: 2008wrx
^^thanks, one more question please? Would AGM battery less chance to have terminals corrosion in compare with the regular battery? I notice BENZ and BMW rarely have terminal corrosion? Thanks

Yes

There is absolutely no reason to spend the extra money on an AGM battery in a Camry. Their advantages come in harsh or unusual conditions - battery mounted in a cab or trunk, high vibration and weird angles like an offroad vehicle, deep discharge cycles (although not so much Optima), excessive cranking amps, marine use, and various other heavy duty uses. A Camry barely requires a lawn mower battery.

Originally Posted By: Jeepwm69

Or a NorthStar also made by Odyssey, outstanding batteries though not cheap.

Originally Posted By: OilFilters
There is absolutely no reason to spend the extra money on an AGM battery in a Camry. Their advantages come in harsh or unusual conditions - battery mounted in a cab or trunk, high vibration and weird angles like an offroad vehicle, deep discharge cycles (although not so much Optima), excessive cranking amps, marine use, and various other heavy duty uses. A Camry barely requires a lawn mower battery.

Thanks a lot, so how a about the "MAXX" series from Walmart? Is "Ever start" resonably good? Thanks again folks...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Maxx-Lead-Acid-Automotive-Battery-Group-24F/28275657

Walmart batteries are fine, I'd use the "value power" in a Camry. They're all the same battery under the stickers - the price difference is accounted for by the extra warranty. It's up to you how long you want the warranty to be and how much you want to pay for that.

Walmart batteries are made by the same manufacturers that label batteries for well-known brand names. They don't make them cheaper either nor are they rejects that aren't good enough for other companies.

^^^^^^^^^

True indeed. East Penn makes batteries for Walmart in my area. Same as one would find at O Reilly's for $70 more.

I've been disappointed with an Optima, it barely lasted longer than the OE GS Yuasa EFB "boot" battery in a Prius. Which should be a very easy life on a battery(trunk-mounted, no high cranking loads but a decent parasitic draw thanks to the smart key system and the OBD-II EVAP monitor, all it does is provide a source of 12V to boot the ECUs and energize the HV system relays).

I've installed a O'Reilly branded Deka Intimidator in it, but for a Camry AGM is way overkill. The charging system is simple on those and won't give an AGM battery the proper charging profile to maintain its SOC. Stick to a conventional flooded battery, I prefer Costco's Interstate line due to warranty.

I have had great luck with Optima Red Tops.

The last 2 batteries have lasted 10 years, and the current one is 5 years old,

Originally Posted By: Jeepwm69
Optima isn't what they used to be. Quality went to [censored] when Johnson Controls bought them out.

I would say they are no better than any other battery on the market now, and given the price, I no longer even consider them.

At one time I was running 9 red tops on different vehicle and tractors. I will never buy another one. The last two I bought, on the same day, were both dead before the end of a year.

Thats true... Optima used to be made in USA and they would last for 8 years.. I once saw one that lasted 10 years.
Now they are made in Mexico. I think thats b/c Johnson Controls bought them out.

At work the yellow tops dont even last 3 years. I see Red Tops lasting longer then yellow tops. I have a Red Top in my car now the only reason was b/c it cost me $35. Some advance auto parts will sell a Redtop for 35$ if its been on the shelf for 2 years.

Anyways i read great reviews on odyssey AGM batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back