opinions wanted, re:leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 3.9L dakota, low mileage, and have developed a front main seal leak, after about 300 mi., and 2 weeks of using GC. i had M1 10w-30 in it, and developed a tappet noise, and went to GC when i heard all the good things about it. the manual says to use 10w-30, and i saw a chart here stating that the VI of GC was between that of M1 5w-30, add 10w-30, and tried it. since you people are the GC gurus, is it possible that the GC is too thin for my motor, and caused the leak? the engine is mechanically sound. thankyou.

gc

If I had to guess I would say that the seal was already bad. The esters in the GC probably just removed the sludge that was keeping the seal from leaking. BTW, what year Dakota are we talking about?

2000 dakota, 35,000 kms. i'm ruling out sludge, as i'm as "weird" about oil changes and maintenance, as some here are about the GC.also, the mileage is very low. that's what has me puzzled. thanks for the reply.

yeti,

As certain as one can be from over 1600 kms away, I am certain GC is not the cause of your leak (as in original cause). As Gilitar said, the esters in GC might have been the catalyst for manifestation of an existing problem but I am convinced GC did not do anything "harmful" to your seal.

I know the intake gasket are prone to leaking on them as the gaskets are crap. so I am sure your front main seal is prob just as bad. as others had said you sitll might had a lil bit of build up around the seals. GC as I heard cleans up alot of this stuff. so it was prob a leak that was there but gummed up by grime.

how bad is it leaking?

the leak is very small, as i just discovered it by my routine visual checks. i never had an issue with dino or syn. 10w-30's ( castrol syn., m1 )re: leaks. i like the gc a lot, as the engine is quiet, and runs well. don't flame me for this, gc gurus, but would a seal conditioner (to swell the seal) help the issue, aa i don't want to do a seal replacement. thankyou for your replies, because i respect your opinions.

I would just watch it and see if it gets worse or it might clear up on its own. there is a product called auto R/x that has been known to cure small leaks. its over in the additives sections. ask Frank about it as he was the one that made the stuff. it might fix your leak if its small enough.

alot of people dont like stuff that swells your seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back