Opinions please !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
due to high prices in gas, and that my wife travels a lot,she wants to trade our grand cherokee 4.0 for a mid size 4 cylinder car. we are looking mostly at a nissan altima,toyota camry or a ford taurus(v6 i know)the car will be used,1999 to 2002 model.based on oua and reliability which one would you go for?based on looks i would go for the altima,but i don't know how good they are. tks
worshippy.gif

Don't know what year your Jeep is, but you are going to take an absolute butt kicking when you go to trade it in. Also, the 4.0 is a six banger, so it can't be all that bad of a gas guzzler. Bigger cars/trucks aren't selling as well with higher gas prices, so you are going to get slammed with that when you go to trade it in. Now figure this.....if calculate the money that you will loose on the trade in, added to the difference between that and the price of a new car and add it all up together, that still is a lot of gas. Yes, gas has gone up, but you may find that if you change some things in your routine, you could be able to make it up. Also, don't forget to add the difference in auto insurance too. Don't assume it will be cheaper just because your getting a smaller car.

The Nissan Altima is a blast to drive and very reliable. The Camary is also very reliable, but not quite as much fun to drive-a bit more of an appliance. The experiences that I've had with Fords has not been all that good. They seem plagued with electrical problems-especially as they get some age to them.

quote:

Originally posted by kanling:
The Taurus is going to be a LOT cheaper.

There's a reason for that. . .

Absent from your list is the Accord, which is also a class member. Note, however, that for whatever strange reason, the Camry, which is almost precisely the same size on the outside, has a much larger trunk AND gas tank than the Accord does. The Accord and Altima (current version) probably are slightly more "fun" to drive, but if max cargo space is a top criterion for you, the Camry is probably your choice.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
... Also, don't forget to add the difference in auto insurance too. Don't assume it will be cheaper just because your getting a smaller car.

Yea, my Elantra is $80 more a year than my TJ was, but the difference between 13mpg and 35mpg more than makes up for it.
Man I miss the Jeep though.

if it matters, the Camry has a non-interference engine design. If you are prone to forgetting to change the timing belt, this might be good.

and on the altimas, let's make sure we're sticking to the year models requested originally. There is a world of difference between the new Altimas and the ones he is looking at. Personally I wouldn't all any of them "sporty", you'll need the v6 versions to get close.
wink.gif

How about a used 4 cylinder Accord, nice engine and if well maintained, can last quite long?

I agree with mechtech, it will take forever to offset the beating you will take on the trade in, but if you are set on doing it my choice would be
1. Toyota
2. Honda
3. Nissan
Personally I wouldnt even consider the taurus.

I think you would have more interior room with the Taurus, I don't know for sure though. I had a 1998 Taurus that had a particular auto transmission with which Ford had problems. If it didn't have a problem prone tranny I would pick the Taurus.

Look at CR used car reliability charts. Just before you make your final choice, have a mechanic look things over, to keep you from buying a car you like that has problems you don't see.

the camry will likely be a bit more $$, but for pretty good reasons: the 4 cylinder is virtually bulletproof. Pull the valve cover to ensure no sludge, and if ok that would definitely be my pick of the litter.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
if it matters, the Camry has a non-interference engine design. If you are prone to forgetting to change the timing belt, this might be good.

I think the current 4 cyl Camry motor (2AZFE), is chain driven. No belt to replace here.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
but we aren't taking about the current camry i4....

His parameters include 2002. That was the first MY for the current (5th generation) Camry. I read this to mean he was considering both Gen-4 and early Gen-5 Camrys. I agree as to the Altimas; the prior and current versions of this car really should not wear the same name.

I like the Altima myself and please stay away from the Taurus if your looking for gas mileage.
One of my employees husband surprised her with a Taurus in 2002. A year and half later she traded it in for a 2004 VW Passat. Main reason for dumping the Taurus was the gas mileage was horrible. BTW she loves her 4 cylinder Passat.
Her reason for loving the Passat is the great gas mileage compared to the Taurus.

I miss our '01 XJ 4.0L. 2wd, and got 22+ mpg highway. Wife now has a LexYota, but it ain't the same. The mileage is hardly better around town and only a little better on the highway.

If you had an XJ I'd say keep it, but I, too, would dump a Grand Cherokee. Too many problems.

I wouldn't get the Taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back