Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be better... A conventional oil (penn yellow bottle) change every 3000 miles, or a synthetic oil(penn platinum) change every 5000 miles? 2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV.

Thanks. Be easy on me, I'm new to the forum.

My wife's Sonata says 7500 miles...dealer says 3000 miles..."severe service" says 3750 miles...due to the warranty I went with the severe service. You might want to consider what the manual says in regard to the 10/100 warranty.

John

Originally Posted By: RamAir5
What would be better... A conventional oil (penn yellow bottle) change every 3000 miles, or a synthetic oil(penn platinum) change every 5000 miles? 2008 Hyundai Veracruz SUV.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

Platinum @ 5K

Actually, you could run the YB to 5K

Last edited:
quality conventional oil every 5k miles; OTC syn oil every 7000miles.

Why waste precious resource (incl. motor oil) when you know that you still have lots of service life left?

Q.

Go with the synthetic @ 5000 miles. Even the lowest priced synthetic like Walmart SuperTech Synthetic is far superior to a conventional oil.

I have the 3.8L engine in my 2009 Genesis (but about 10% more horsepower because of 24-valve DOHC w/CVVT), and I am going synthetic all the way.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
Go with the synthetic @ 5000 miles. Even the lowest priced synthetic like Walmart SuperTech Synthetic is far superior to a conventional oil.

Prove it...

Welcome!

What does your manual say for OCI? With Hyundai's excellent 100k warranty, FOLLOW THE MANUAL!

Either oil will do your engine fine and keep it well protected and clean.

Depending on your driving and usage of vehicle one OCI/oil may be better than the other.

Take care, Bill

Perhaps do a cost/benefit analysis and see what decision makes the most sense for you.

I would lean towards synthetic oil and a longer drain interval, 6000-8000 miles or so.

As its been mentioned, stay within the warranty coverage requirements and keep all your receipts, just in case you have a problem and need to make a claim.

Does your car have an OLM (oil change monitor)? If so, since they were designed and calibrated for conventional oil, I'd follow the OLM using conventional oil.

I have found that conventional and certain synthetics make my Hyundai engine suffer from ticking/clanging in cooler and winter weather... I have found that Amsoil seems to be what my engine likes both on the UOA's and how the engine sounds at start-up and idling. If you are going to use conventional I would use Pennzoil YB, but if you are going to spring for synthetic then use Platnium under warranty period and at the manuals OCI then you can extend the OCI as per a UOA and/or what you are comfortable with. In my mind synthetic is much better, but this is just my opinion!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Prove it...

As soon as you approve you exist, I will do that.

Just what I thought. You can't.

So your advise is not valid...

The difference is I prove what I say. Not just repeat myths.

You can put away your script anytime...

In a 5k OCI there is no benefit to running syn over conventional if the engine does not REQUIRE syn in 99% of the vehicles out there.

Since people come here to get the facts, please stick to them.

Even the lowest priced synthetic like Walmart SuperTech Synthetic is far superior to a conventional oil.

No way. "Far superior"? How? It's the most bland syn on the market that does OK, but even then it's not a good deal anymore.

I would put YB, QS, Valv, MC5K, Hav, and even Supertech dino up against ST syn for longevity any day.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
In a 5k OCI there is no benefit to running syn over conventional if the engine does not REQUIRE syn in 99% of the vehicles out there.

Bingo.

Bill,
At the 5000 mile OCi Dino will work quite well, but 5000 mile OCIs are rapidly becoming obsolete. Even Ford now is up to 7500 mile OCI. with a synt. blend. As most recognize here at BITOG full synt. oil just gives a higher level of protection that many desire. Many auto manufactures world wide, as you know, now require Synt. oil for longer OCI and it's my opinion most auto manufactures will require synt. for their cars in less than 10 years. That's the trend. As I see it.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Many auto manufactures world wide, as you know, now require Synt. oil for longer OCI

Actually, it seems manufacturers are going to OLM's calibrated for dino.
The recommended OCI for my wife's Malibu is the OLM or 1 year, whichever expires first.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I do 7k miles on dino no problem.

5K miles on PP is a waste of money.
Actually I've been doing 7,500 miles on conventional since my useless UOAs proved to me that it was possible.

Later this year when I take off my valve cover to check my valves, I'll take a photo.

And no, I will not be tearing down my engine to look at all the deposits in my rings..
grin2.gif

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back