opinions on using amsoil atf in problamatic trans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
long story short i have a rebuilt trans with multiple times reused solenoids in it
problem occurs once cold weather hits i have to have fluid and filter done to avoid tcc solenoid issue
trans has NEVER to this point had synthetic in it and im worried about the amsoil beeing too "thin" and causing problems worse then i have
what i am trying to gain by using the amsoil is not making this a yearly ritual as the car see a lot less miles yearly then it has in the past.

The most you have to lose is changing back worse case. I had an old Ford I had better luck using Amsoil over regular dino ATF. Amsoil ATF has great cold flow properties. So I would think it would help in the Illinois area.

What problems might you foresee with too thin a fluid? I have had my Amsoil fluid in since Feb 2006 in my main driver and have 72K miles on it. Thanks for making me think about the time/miles on my fluid because I'm going to change it out very soon. I forgot how long I have had it in there.

Post what make, model, miles, trans etc you have for better feedback.... Good luck whatever you do......

I use Amsoil in all my transmissions. I think its the best ATF available. Its worth the hassle to get it.

Amsoil and any synthetic will have super cold flow properties (and deal with heat). But it won't fix a broken transmission.

Do a cooling line exchange to change to Amsoil.

sorry it is a 2000 pontiac grand prix with the infamous gm fwd trans
trans has been replaced/rebuilt but with reused solenoids thanks to lovely shop
problems im worried about are going off if i remember reading before that in these very touchy transmissions it could cause slipping possibly going off feedback form the grandprix forum
trans has roughly 75k miles give or take
also open to other synthetic "thicker" atf suggestions

A high quality synthetic should be a more consistent viscosity over the cold to hot temperature range.....
In other words, it will be "less thick" when cold, "less thin" when hot, but the same as specified at normal (warmed up) operating temperature.

In other words....it will not be "too thin" at operating temperature if it meets the specification for your vehicle (Dexron III ?).

I would not worry at all about using a synthetic from a quality brand, it will be a good upgrade from non-synthetic.

I would like to add.....GM, owner of the Dexron III specification no longer "licenses" the Dexron III specification.
In this case.....you will see "recommended for" or similar wording on most any Dexron fluid label.....
I would avoid "no-name" fluid as who knows what you will get.
A major brand will be fine.....Dexron III is a easy specification to meet vs Dexron VI (which is thinner, but has much tighter specifications as to how much it can thin down (shear) over the life of the fill).

Sounds like LUBEGARD would be perfect for you:

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-112/LUBEGARD+Automatic+Transmission+Fluid+Protectant

1 or 2 bottles of Lubegard Red in this problematic transmission.

what does the trans actually DO wrong? We're handing out solutions, and at least I don't understand the problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back