Opinions on this fuel pump proceedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

A little background info: The reason this came about is because its a PITA to change the fuel pump on a F-body. The entire rear axle has to come out along with the exhaust system before you can drop the tank. With most of these cars getting up there in milage and age a few pump failures are inevitable so someone tried to come up with an easier way and this was the result.

This became quite a heated "discussion" on another message board. I posted it here because most of you guys seem a bit wiser and more experienced than the usual F-body croud so I wanted to hear your thoughts
grin.gif

If you're intrested here are two threads discussing the pros/cons of the new way (cutting a hatch) vs the traditional way (dropping tank).

sorry but posting of other forums boards or chats are not allowed.b

Try to excuse the flaming
smile.gif
We're dealing with a bunch of 18-25yr old males who are never wrong
rolleyes.gif

IMHO while the new way is surely quicker I cant fathom cutting a hole in my car just to save a few hours, especally on a unibody vehicle. Even with a cover screwed down I dont think it'll ever be as strong as it was originally. Not to mention I'm not comfortable with using a cutting tool like a Dremel within millimeters of the fuel tank and lines.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Jason

[ October 12, 2002, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Interesting idea. I don't have one of these cars so I can't offer much real advice, but the older Honda's and Acura's (I have both) are designed the same way, and are a real PAIN IN THE *** ! While traveling with my '89 Honda, the fuel pump needed to be replaced. Since I had no facilities, tools, or desire to do this on the road, a dealer graciously offer to to it for over $500.
mad.gif
The engineers came to their senses starting around 1994, and now have access to the pump from above in the trunk. I'm gonna look into this as a mod on my '93 Acura as it will surely bite me in the *** at the wrong time. Thanks.
cheers.gif

I did not open the link but a few years ago my Son's 1988 IROC's fuel pump went out and I had to travel with a trailer to bring it home.What fun
wink.gif

I thought it was a crazy deal so I bought a pickup /sender assembly from a 84 Z28 and put a external fuel pump on the car. If it ever fails again it will be a 20 minute fix,,dropping the rear differential is nuts to me just to get to a fuel pump,especially with a aftermarket muffler that is welded on.

The car is gone now but the new owner is aware of this and will benefit if the pump ever fails

I didnt like this idea at first but it is sooooo much easier than the normal way. Although it hasnt been very long but no one has yet to report any problems. I'll try to follow this closely since I'm sure my fuel pump wont last forever!

IMHO to further improve the process I think if you rounded off the corners when you cut the hole you could elimate a stress point. I would also like a better method of securing the lid but I cant think of anything you could do without dropping the tank.

On a pickup truck you can take off the bed you will need 3 or 4 people to help lift it off. Remember to unbolt filler neck,tail lights and ect.

Considering that this thread is 10 years old, what are the opinions on doing this? If it was mine (and its not), I would drop the tank, even if it would be a lot of extra work.

I did this on a 98 Ford Explorer. I made a nice patch panel for it with a rubber seal. The second time I needed to change out a fuel pump I had it swapped out in under 20 minutes. This kind of thing should be done at the factory IMHO

This is standard procedure for more experienced techs dealing with most cars without a door there already.

Last edited:
A Dremel tool with it's minuscule cut-off wheel is NOT going to make it through that section of unibody, it would take a FULL power, pneumatic, cut-off wheel to do this job.
wink.gif

It IS the way I'm planning to do this job once my car needs a new pump.

Originally Posted By: rdh
On a pickup truck you can take off the bed you will need 3 or 4 people to help lift it off. Remember to unbolt filler neck,tail lights and ect.

A friend of mine did this himself on his 2000 Silverado, but used his tractor to lift the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back