opinions on synpower 0w20 and 5w20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using black bottle edge 5w20 in my 13 mustang v6. There is an overnight cold start noise that bugs me but may be no big deal. Using motorcraft fl500s oil filter. Thinking bout going and trying valvoline 5w20 or even 0w20.

That may be a filter or engine issue (all aluminum DOHC timing chain engines ive owned have been silly noisy on startup - even bikes)

But The Valvoline 0w20 has been overall the best 0w20 Ive run - IIRC edge with Ti was the quietest. The OEM FOMOCO stamped (champ labs?)filters performed better than the Purolator/motorcraft on my 11 Ranger.

Here are the specs if you want to take a look : SPECS

I am using synpower 5w20 cause I need a good oil for the winter. When my warranty will end Il'll switch to 0w20 since it offers an even better protection in really cold weather (-25F in my case). But I have no idea where you live in IL so it is hard to say if it is worth it for you.

Synpower does well on test ( TEST ). But this is for 5w30 and I can not say if the oil perform the same way in reality.

You'll better find first the source of the noise, Oil won't fix mechanical problems.

I can change the filter from motorcraft to a dealer fomoco yes. Thank you for the spec sheet.

Last edited:
I've run ultra in this 3.7 engine but it burnt off/used about a quart in 5 grand. So far on 2 runs the edge black bottle has not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back