Opinions on running SuperTech Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased for a commuter vehicle a 1993 Camry V6 LE that is almost mint with 106K miles. Would it be ok to run Walmart SuperTech 10W-30 Syn summer, & 5W-30 Syn winter. I plan on doing 4K OCI's????

This is decent oil with an OK add pack for 5K OCIs. If you are planning 4K OCI you are good with this oil. Its been a while since someone posted a UOA, especially since SuperTech Syn meets GM 4718 now. Perhaps the add pack has been improved. I remember it had lots of Sodium NA in it. This is similar to Valvoline white bottle as far as the add pack but with a Group III base.

That is a sludge motor if I am not mistaken so synthetic might be a good choice...not sure of the price or the ST syn right now, but no matter what you use, that motor has to have an oil change no more than 5k I think.

Ive done numerous searches for the engine used in a 1993 camry on this forums and have never seen the phrase sludge motor. I thuink you are referring to later aluminum engines in the later 1990's. Otherwise whomever had my car before me did a great job because my engine is still going strong with stellar california emission tests. The power is still there, and the economy is right there with a long stroke 4 cylinder.

I do not know who makes the Super Tech base oil, who makes the add pack, or who blends it.

They now package it in clear plastic bottles. I was looking at some at Walmart, and, it looked "milky" to me. There was a slight white residue in the bottom of the bottles. I at first thought it was just the stress from the bottle molding, but, when I shook the bottle, it went away.

It may be great, but, I would be to scared to use it.

no, run 5w30 all year. 5w30 is always better than 10w30, oil is too THICK, not too thin. 10w30 would work, but just not as well as
5w30.

also, NAPA synthetic is on sale this month for $3.00 a quart, so buy up a stash of NAPA, and forget ST. They jacked up ST prices, and then conveniently "forgot" to lower them, once they realized how much bonus was needed for the CEO. so go out and stock up on NAPA, which is Ashland (Valvoline) oil.

I'd rather go to Wal Mart and spend $20 on a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

First most synthetic 5W30's are thicker then their 10W30 counter parts so that just goes to show what most people know about oil! 10W30 is not too thick but it might not be as good as it's 5W30 counter part when talking synthetic! I would probably run 5W40 Rotella-T synthetic init year roundmyself but 5W30 will do as well as long as consuptionis not an issue.

The Super Tech synthetic is not a very good oil it has a hard time in most vechhiles making past 5000 miles it does do it sometimes but not often. If I had to chose between synthetic Walmart brand and name brand dino I would go with dino.The only reason I bought some Super tech Synthetic is because they had it reduced or miss priced to $2.36 a quart which was cheaper then name brand dino oil. Now it is up to $3.36 I think a quart so I would pass on it.

Pennzoil Platnium,Valvoline Synthetic and M-1 are all around $21 for a 5 quart jug with the first two often being $18-$19 for a jug. I think I would go name brand myself.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
That is a sludge motor if I am not mistaken so synthetic might be a good choice...not sure of the price or the ST syn right now, but no matter what you use, that motor has to have an oil change no more than 5k I think.

The 1993 3.0 Toyota V6 is NOT a SLUDGE motor!!!

I just came from WalMart, SuperTech 5w-30 was priced @ $17.00 for a 5 quart jug.....for a measly $3.00 extra, I went with Penzoil Platnum 5w-30 for $20.00 even!.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back