Opinions on Mobil 10w30 drive clean....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4dr truck with the 4.7l engine.So far I have 10K on the engine,and have changed it every 3k with filter.I've been using the Mobil 10w30 and either Fram or Purolater filters.Is this a good oil for this truck,or should I go with a 15w40?? This truck is mainly used for going to work,but I do tow a race car/trailer combo that weighs in at 5K,and I live in Florida.Thoughts/suggestions??

welcome.gif

Chris,you will get many opions here on what oil to use. Some will say Pennzoil or Castrol is a better OTC oil but I do not beleive them to be all that much better if at all for daily drivers. With towing and Florida heat you might think about using the 10/40 Drive Clean " some will say to never use a 10/40 either
wink.gif
" but because of price,performance and availability I think the cool Schaeffers 15/40 blend would be worth consideration for all year round use down there.

Possibly Bob will chime in with the merits of that Schaeffers 15/40 oil and price vs performance of other OTC oils available and alot of this comes from that heavy trailer you tow

There are many other oils to choose from as well as you probably know,,again welcome to the forum and good luck in what oil you choose

[ November 18, 2002, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Thanks for the welcome Dragboat.I have normally been a staunch Quaker State user as I've always had good results from it's usage in my race engines,however,I went and tried the Mobil,mainly because I found it to be cheaper in price,and I had tried it in a older Dodge I had with 135K with great results.My main concern is that I plan on keeping this truck for a long while(10 years is very possible)and I'm a strict beliver in maintenance,so I want a quality oil that will do what it's supposed to do.This is a great site,very informative and interesting too.

i have a 91 honda accord with 152k i run 10w-30 drive clean and i like it...it seems to feel more stable to me...though i upgraded my oil filter from fram to bosch. i really like it..i dont have an oil analysis to back me up but i think its an ok oil. im giong to use it from now on in my engine...i hope it does me good...i just want clean burning oil..i used to use castrol and that was kinda smelly..penzoil was ok...but i guess im wiht mobil drive clean now..if ne one is a skeptic out there and u think there is something wrong with this oil..tell me please and i will greatly concider it...only the good stuff for my car.

[ November 18, 2002, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: digitaldrifter91 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back