Opinions on Mobil 1 oil change on a Harley EG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil and filter M1 last fall for storage. Been riding this season on the oil with 1,300 miles on the clock now and about to take a 1,500 bike tour. Should I change oil or just the filter? I hate to waste oil with 1,300 on it.

Speaking for myself, I'd change it. Not saying anything's particularly wrong with the oil that's in there, but why not start off a trip that involves long stretches of high speeds and high temperatures with fresh product?

If you're afraid of wasting the old oil, use it in your mower or give it to someone.

I'd leave both as is, the oil and filter are still good to go and the highway miles will be easy on the bike...just top up as needed and change it out at your usual mileage. That's how I've always done my '97 Road King.

HDs bulletin 849 from 5/17/2005 lists the crankcase change interval on a bigtwin for SYN3 at 5k miles.

Your M1 is at least as good as the SYN, so why be worried about it having 2.8k at the end of your trip?

I'd probably take the ride with the "old" oil that was new last fall, assuming you didn't ride much before you put it away. The filter is out of the question, it's fine and shouldn't need to go anywhere.

Wow, have a fantastic time on your trip. Where to?

Thanks for the opinions I was inclined to keep it in as the wife's Springer has now 900 miles an me with 1,300 on the oil. The oil was fresh on both bikes when put away for the winter.
Geez I bought a 6 pack of M1 VTwin and its going for $53 now.
We will be heading to Yellowstone Tetons and riding the Beartooth Pass yet again.

H-E double hockey sticks NO!! Run that oil & filter 4-5000 miles if it is the Vtwin oil. If it's the 15w50 change when you get back.

I've been changing mine at the end of the season for a few years now. I get the engine nice and warm, change the oil and filter, then go get gas about 1-2 miles away, get home, put my fuel conditioner in, run the engine for a few seconds, and I'm done. I won't touch the oil/filter again until the end of the next season. I'm running Redline oil and an Amsoil EaO filter. No problems yet with two bikes. The reason I run the engine for a couple miles is to circulate the new oil, then I run it for a few seconds after the fuel conditioner to get it into the carb. I don't start the bike during winter unless I plan to ride it. I put it on a smart-charger. In the spring it starts right up. After the first tank of gas I change the plugs.

I'd say leave that oil in for at least 5,000 miles or until the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back