Opinions On MMO Added To The Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) or something like Lucas Upper Cyliner Lubricant has been mentioned here (lawnmower forum) before in a positive manner.

Supposedly... they can lubricate rings for longer cylinder life and also clean and lubricate valve seats. This may mean longer cylinder life and help prevent burned pistons as they provide upper cylinder lubrication. Also..reduce carbon deposits.

(Oil may have a hard time getting to the upper cylinder?)

The Lucas product says you can use it continuously in any
engine. Recommended treatment dose is about 1 ounce/4 gallons.

Any one have comments or better yet experience with these type of products?

I run MMO in the gas in every engine I own. Mower, power washer, snow blower, outboard engine, line trimmer, and cars. I believe it helps keep things clean and extends the life of an engine. The benefits of adding a top oil to a small engine I believe increases compression, coats the cylinder wall which reduces wear, and stops flash rusting in small engines that are only used once in a while, like my pressure washer.

IMO engines that are lubricated by oil splashing need all the help they can get. You will also notice less carbon when pulling a spark plug and looking at the piston tops. Plugs last longer too.

At the end of the season, I use it for a fogging oil, it works great!

My machinist...he's about 70 years old and has seen it all. He recommends it in the gas tank. I use it that way in the winter.

Yes. I have run MMO in my 17.5 HP B&S a couple times in a higher concentration that I am not sure of (probably an oz a gallon).

It spits and sputters and need to have the choke on about half way to get it to run smooth. Went back to pure BP 92 octane 100% gas and it's ok after that!
LOL.gif

I have used it 20 plus years as a fuel stabilizer in all my small engine applications. Never a gummed up carb or problems after being store for the winter.

I use it often both in my truck and my gas powered yard equipment. For a fact I get better gas mileage on trips in my truck, and I never seem to have any problems with my small engines. Some are over 20 years in service( typical homeowner usage).

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I have used it 20 plus years as a fuel stabilizer in all my small engine applications. Never a gummed up carb or problems after being store for the winter.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Any UCL will help this and I have had the same experience.

As for MMO I'm a recent convert and have a thread on here called "Luvin the MMO" in the Fuel Additives section and you can see some great experiences with it.

I'm a firm believer in UCL's and engine longevity/cleanliness.

I have torn a part and rebuilt many engines with my dad and UCL's in engine make a huge difference to their wearing and cleanliness and overall longevity!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Any UCL will help this and I have had the same experience.

As for MMO I'm a recent convert and have a thread on here called "Luvin the MMO" in the Fuel Additives section and you can see some great experiences with it.

I'm a firm believer in UCL's and engine longevity/cleanliness.

I have torn a part and rebuilt many engines with my dad and UCL's in engine make a huge difference to their wearing and cleanliness and overall longevity!
wink.gif

+1 We have a lot in common. I did a lot with my dad who is an MMO user in oil and gas. His engines always looked good when we worked on them. Glad you've converted!
cheers3.gif

Dad told me to use it, so, for the past 40 years or so, I have. Dunno if it actually helps, but it probably doesn't hurt, and it smells neat, too...
21.gif

I've started using it on everything....I like the idea of having a "top lube." It seems this was very common in the "old days." For my older stuff with carbs, I can see the benefits of having some lubricity in the fuel. I figure it won't hurt the new stuff, either. The price is right, so why not?

With up to 10% ethanol in the gas year round, at least at stations I frequent, the top oil is a very good idea. If it runs on gas and I own it, it has MMO in the gas.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I run MMO in the gas in every engine I own. Mower, power washer, snow blower, outboard engine, line trimmer, and cars. I believe it helps keep things clean and extends the life of an engine. The benefits of adding a top oil to a small engine I believe increases compression, coats the cylinder wall which reduces wear, and stops flash rusting in small engines that are only used once in a while, like my pressure washer.

IMO engines that are lubricated by oil splashing need all the help they can get. You will also notice less carbon when pulling a spark plug and looking at the piston tops. Plugs last longer too.

At the end of the season, I use it for a fogging oil, it works great!

How does flash rusting occur in a small engine? Flash rusting is just as the name implies, a surface that immediately gets rust on it after it gets cleaned/abraded. As I'm sure you know, it happens a lot with painters when they're prepping a steel surface for paint, but I can't see how the term applies to the inside of small engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back