Opinions on Lucas Gear Oil (85w-140)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to change the differential oil in both of my vehicles. They both require 75w-140 gear oil. I'd like to use Mobil1 75w-140 gear oil, but the stores near me didn't stock it. It's hard to find for some reason.

I got this instead. Can the experts here chime in? Is this stuff any good? It looks like good stuff to me.

lucas85w140gearoil.jpg

What are you putting it in? Will the vehicle get driven in the winter? Conventional 85w140 gear lubes aren't a good choice for something that gets used in NY winters. I don't have the Lucas specs handy, but most 85w140 gear lubes I've seen have a pour point of 0 to 10 degrees F.

AMSOIL has a white paper on gear oil available on their website, I recommend you read it and then decide if you still want to go with Lucas lubricants.

2002 Jeep Wrangler and 2006 Charger.

Both vehicle specify 75w-140 according to manufacturing specs.

Regarding the Amsoil White Paper... I basically picked the worse gear oil to buy?
54.gif
shocked2.gif
frown.gif

Last edited:
it's up to you/your wallet to put in whatever you want, redline, amsoil or Lucas.

I personally would opt for whatever meets my factory spec and then just go from there. Afterall: I don't have any issues with any major brand/oil supplier products and my wallet is tight.

Q.

I tried M1 when I first did my rear differential and it made it "hum". Sort`ve a low pitched droning noise. I then went with Amsoil and never looked back. Rear diff is silent!!!!!!

I would not use lucas in any event. Its like a snake oil. Better to try Amsoil or go with a Schaeffer rear end oil.Both well proven products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back