Opinions on i9-9900k cpu

I am thinking about building a new pc around a i9-9900k cpu. I don’t need the highest performance cpu, I just want to build a pc that will still be viable for the next 8 or so years. I don’t game but I do quite a bit of photo and video editing and dvd ripping. I know the gpu is more important in those applications but I already have decided on a gpu. Any thoughts on the i9-9900k? Thanks in advance.

A Ryzen 9 3900X beats the 9900k by a pretty healthy margin in rendering. I know this says 10900K, but the 9900K is included in their testing.

I spent a while figuring out what I wanted. I do a lot of image editing and some video. I shoot Nikon Z7, Z6, and D850. Usually shooting RAW at highest quality so files can be large. I'm expecting the next camera purchase to be in the 60+ MP range so want to be prepared for that too. I have had a Dell XPS laptop i9, 4k (3840x2160) screen, 32GB, for the last 9 months. I just ordered a dell 32" 4k monitor matching the 3840x2160 laptop display, and a 4k docking station. The laptop has been great with larger files. Speed is excellent and it does not get bogged down. Having a matching large screen is a true luxury :geek: True first world problems!

I look for 6+ years on my computer purchases for me. The family computer is a i5 HP with good specs. Frankly, if it weren't for the heavy imaging applications I would have no need for the i9 or even the i7.

If I were building a new computer, it would be Zen 3. I recently built a new one in Aug/Sept. with a 10600k because Zen 3 hadn't been released yet and I didn't know when/if it would be better. I wish I would have waited now.

It's a good processor. I have one in my current rig and I'm starting to notice that my GTX 1070 is now the bottleneck for certain newer games. Plan on running a decent cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 since it does run warmer than the i7 equivalent.

I am thinking about building a new pc around a i9-9900k cpu. I don’t need the highest performance cpu, I just want to build a pc that will still be viable for the next 8 or so years. I don’t game but I do quite a bit of photo and video editing and dvd ripping. I know the gpu is more important in those applications but I already have decided on a gpu. Any thoughts on the i9-9900k? Thanks in advance.
In 9 years a cell phone will have more processing power and capabilities than today's best computers.

In 9 years a cell phone will have more processing power and capabilities than today's best computers.
I don’t think it’ll take even 9 years... have you seen Apple’s M1 CPU? That thing is laying down some pretty impressive benchmarks and excelling in real world tests already.

I don’t think it’ll take even 9 years... have you seen Apple’s M1 CPU? That thing is laying down some pretty impressive benchmarks and excelling in real world tests already.
Yes, and I'm furious. I bought a NEW MacBook Air(early 2020 release) back in August with a core i5, then a few months later they released the M1 system and discontinued the intel models. I certainly would have waited.

Paying a premium for a machine to last 8 years, seems to be a lot of money and risk involved, when we already have all these competition going on that will make it much cheap (think 5nm, 3nm will be around the corner in the next few years). I'd just buy something less costly for the next 3 years and then swap out the CPU / motherboard / RAM and keep the GPU and SSD.

Computers are disposable products. Technology makes 'em obsolete overnight it seems.
Plus, a quality mid-range notebook based on your needs is plenty.
Tomorrow it will be a dinosaur.

Don't feel bad, our Tesla Model 3 would be maybe $15K cheaper today than we paid in Dec 2018.
Ha!

I don't know about computers being "disposable" - I'm writing this on a 15-year-old Centrino laptop that works just fine for general use.

Reactions: Y_K
Back