Opinions on excessive glue

So, I’ve been digging through filter dissections on YouTube and among the new, unused cut ups there was a trend of excessive glue.

I’ve seen this on some of the more expensive spin-ons with synthetic media; presumably manufactured by Champion Labs. Both Amsoil and Royal Purple, but to be fair I was only looking for those filters and don’t know how often others may have this problem.

Some excess may be expected to appear at the end caps where the media is attached, but when it’s bleeding out over the pleats and smeared around the end cap it seems as if it could come lose during operation.

Is this considered generally harmless? Are there any real risks or is it merely cosmetic? I suppose if it were on the outside of the media it most likely would get caught by the filter immediately. Still, you would think this could get cleaned up and be less common.

I have often asked myself the same question. And it looks like it is some of the most expensive filters that normally have the most glue (Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil1). Purolators are usually very clean with their glue, particularly the Purolator Boss which uses a different type of glue white in color. I use a common Nissan filter and I have seen very clean ones with no excessive glue at all to others with lots of glue on some of the pleats.

Last edited:
If the glue is on the dirty side of the filter then it's much less of a risk. If some does break off, it will be caught by the media, but there still might be a slight chance it could go through the bypass valve if it opened. Sometimes there can be excess glue down in the center tube where the tube meets the dome end cap on the dome end. If that happens to break loose it would go directly into the oiling system - not good. That glue it typically super adhered to the metal, but I still look down the center tube at that glue to make sure nothing looks out of sorts.

I bought two Mobil1's on sale on clearance at Meijer for the Nissan I used to have. One to use, one to cut open. I was shocked how much glue was all over the place, it looked like a drunk five year old got a hold of a bottle of Elmers glue and went on a rage. The kicker was that the bypass valve had so much on it, I couldn't get it to open no matter how much I tried, until I used some needle-nose pliers and removed the thick glob that was all over it. I chucked the unused filter in the garbage.

I'm a big fan of Mobil1 oils, been using them for decades, but I wont touch their filters.

If the glue is on the dirty side of the filter then it's much less of a risk. If some does break off, it will be caught by the media, but there still might be a slight chance it could go through the bypass valve if it opened. Sometimes there can be excess glue down in the center tube where the tube meets the dome end cap on the dome end. If that happens to break loose it would go directly into the oiling system - not good. That glue it typically super adhered to the metal, but I still look down the center tube at that glue to make sure nothing looks out of sorts.
This seems to be the most sensible approach. I was thinking of using a RP next oil change, since Amsoil is out of stock and I’m waiting on more C&Ps of the new Ultra. For peace of mind, maybe it’s best if I buy at a local store in case it needs returning due to glue down the center tube.

This seems to be the most sensible approach. I was thinking of using a RP next oil change, since Amsoil is out of stock and I’m waiting on more C&Ps of the new Ultra. For peace of mind, maybe it’s best if I buy at a local store in case it needs returning due to glue down the center tube.
The main reason I always buy filters at the store instead of on-line is so I can give them a good look over for any issues (louvers, glue, etc). Going RP is a good choice IMO if waiting for real world C&Ps on the new Ultra media.

Good luck finding a Royal Purple on the shelf anywhere. I came up empty yesterday. Well not totally empty scored some wire backed titaniums... but...

So, I’ve been digging through filter dissections on YouTube and among the new, unused cut ups there was a trend of excessive glue.

I’ve seen this on some of the more expensive spin-ons with synthetic media; presumably manufactured by Champion Labs. Both Amsoil and Royal Purple, but to be fair I was only looking for those filters and don’t know how often others may have this problem.

Some excess may be expected to appear at the end caps where the media is attached, but when it’s bleeding out over the pleats and smeared around the end cap it seems as if it could come lose during operation.

Is this considered generally harmless? Are there any real risks or is it merely cosmetic? I suppose if it were on the outside of the media it most likely would get caught by the filter immediately. Still, you would think this could get cleaned up and be less common.
i was extremely disappointed to see a Purolator Boss with excessive glue all over the end cap and media

Back