Opinions on best oil to use with Restore engine oil additive.

I am curious to hear how this works. ?
I've had great luck with it. Simple, warm the car up, expose the throttle body, mist, and I mean mist it into the throttle body. This worked better than any snake oils I used on DI motors and mildly carbonized pistons.

Spray like 1/2 windex bottle filled with it, reattach the tubing, go drive it. Dint be nice to it. Bring it back home, repeat.

Try BG EPR then switch to Valvoline max life synth blend with a quart a marvel mystery oil. Go with short oil intervals afterwards. Im having a issue with low compression, oil consumption and rough idle. I havent re-tested for compression, but my idle is WAY smoother ( im shocked from how rough it was to now ) and gained a lil power. Oil consumption is the same though. It will not fix internal damage, but if you are trying to buy time ( like me ) it may be worth a try.

I've had great luck with it. Simple, warm the car up, expose the throttle body, mist, and I mean mist it into the throttle body. This worked better than any snake oils I used on DI motors and mildly carbonized pistons.

Spray like 1/2 windex bottle filled with it, reattach the tubing, go drive it. Dint be nice to it. Bring it back home, repeat.
It may clean up the piston tops. Doubt it would do much for the rings. Or oil return holes on the piston. It is a 2001 Corolla with the famous 1ZZ issues that we're talking about... (Issue was fixed on 2003-2008 models thankfully.)

It may clean up the piston tops. Doubt it would do much for the rings. Or oil return holes on the piston. It is a 2001 Corolla with the famous 1ZZ issues that we're talking about... (Issue was fixed on 2003-2008 models thankfully.)
Man, try it first. If it works, just pp me the cash you would have spent on snake oils.

You could also hydrolock the engine doing this. You'd be better off using a GDI cleaner like CRC..

Much like STP and Lucas Oil "Stabilizer", it's just B.S. in a bottle for lost and desperate souls. It makes you wonder how many used cars are sitting in lots with their crankcases full of that crap?

You could also hydrolock the engine doing this. You'd be better off using a GDI cleaner like CRC..
I'm pretty much done with off the shelf cleaners after using this.

I can't see how you can hydro lock the engine. If people aren't hydro locking engines using crc, they aren't using this method.

I would try the piston soak first as it is easy. Maybe run some Rislone or HPL 40w EC thru it to help clean them even further. Then if that doesn't work try a thick oil, Castrol has a 20w50. Or you could try a 10w40 w some Schaeffer Moly EP. I use QS HM blend 10w40 and the Moly EP in my truck and it makes it a 50w and has helped curb my consumption. I'd try the soak as you state it has some scoring but I would assume the rings are probably sticking. It would probably help if the rings were free may not cure it but would cut consumption.

Last edited:
I’m using Valvoline Maxlife 10w-40 with Restore in my noisy 2.5L Jeep while I save up for the rebuild. I don’t drive it much, but did notice the Restore quieted it down very noticeably.

I don’t feel guilty using it either. It worked for me just fine until I do the rebuild.

Back