Opinions on best oil to use with Restore engine oil additive.

I have a 2001 Toyota corrola with 220000. Found out I had some low compression going on. My mechanic suggested I use Restore engine oil additive to help with the compression. I've been on the search for a excellent engine oil brand and type to use with the Restore engine oil additive to get the best results?

How low is low? Restore is a hail Mary pass designed to limp along an engine until you can replace it or get it rebuilt, it is not a long term strategy for greatly extending the life. It doesn't repair anything, it contains metals that fill scores in the cylinder walls to temporarily increase compression, while introducing obvious contaminants (metals) into the oil. I don't think it really matters what you mix it with, as if you are using it, the engine is on its last legs.

Have you confirmed that the low compression is from scored bores or are you maybe experiencing ring sticking? If the latter, I'd avoid the restore and maybe try a B12 soak to see if you can free them up. If that works, then you can run an HPL oil like @wwillson and myself are doing to clean-up the ring area further.

Last edited:
How low is low? Restore is a hail Mary pass designed to limp along an engine until you can replace it or get it rebuilt, it is not a long term strategy for greatly extending the life. It doesn't repair anything, it contains metals that fill scores in the cylinder walls to temporarily increase compression, while introducing obvious contaminants (metals) into the oil. I don't think it really matters what you mix it with, as if you are using it, the engine is on its last legs.

Have you confirmed that the low compression is from scored bores or are you maybe experiencing ring sticking? If the latter, I'd avoid the restore and maybe try a B12 soak to see if you can free them up. If that works, then you can run an HPL oil like @wwillson and myself are doing to clean-up the ring area further.

That is a better idea than using Restore. Good suggestion. It may be a hail-Mary, but it's a better one than Restore.

What would make an oil the best? What do you expect out of the best oil?

I have a 2001 Toyota corrola with 220000. Found out I had some low compression going on. My mechanic suggested I use Restore engine oil additive to help with the compression. I've been on the search for a excellent engine oil brand and type to use with the Restore engine oil additive to get the best results?
Try using a heavier oil. No additive is going to put metal back on a part where it has worn off with any long lasting results, including a can of snake oil containing lead.

My experience with RESTORE is that it needs to be used at every OCI as it does in fact drain out with the oil. AND over a short period of time the RESTORE plugs the catalytic converter.

I wouldn’t use Restore, I gave some to my dad as a joke many years ago when his Ford Tempo had 350k plus miles on it. Only made it worse, that car did make it to 363,000 miles before he donated it after buying a new vehicle.

Restore is best reserved for the time when the car smokes heavily and won't run well but you need to eek out a few more months out of it.
Or, getting ready to sell it to some sucker. I tried Restore once when it first came out. I honestly could tell a difference, but it was just temporary,

My vote is any 15W-40 HDEO. Thicker, good quality oil that is relatively cheap if you have to top off a lot.

Another vote for a piston soak. Change oil the next day & maybe a new PCV cuz why not. Enjoy said econo-box for another 220k

How bad are the scored bores???

If it was stuck piston rings, carbon, etc, nothing will work better than 1/2 windshield washer fluid, 1/2 water in a spray bottle.

Back