Opinions on a yearly oil and filter change with these stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

M1, Wix, 1yr/7500mi sounds like an ideal combination to me! I wouldn't sweat the filter thing at all, especially with a WIX. Dunno if I'd go 1yr/15K on one, but it would probably be okay for that even.

Joel

As you may have read in the past I change the oil(Mobil1 and Napa Gold/Wix) filter on my vehicles twice a year.
Our Toyota goes about 15K per a year and the Explorer about 7500 miles a year.
I'm thinking about going a full year on the 7500 mil per Explorer.
What do you think?
I more confident about the Mobil 1 than leaving the filter in a full year.
Especially when I read Amsoil recommends 6 month filter changes on their expensive filter.

quote:

Originally posted by JTK:
M1, Wix, 1yr/7500mi sounds like an ideal combination to me! I wouldn't sweat the filter thing at all, especially with a WIX. Dunno if I'd go 1yr/15K on one, but it would probably be okay for that even.

Joel

Thanks,Joel.
cheers.gif

Colt;

FWIW, keep in mind that Mobil1 EP says you can do 1 year/15K with their oil and ANY filter. Honda recommends 10K/1yr on filters even under SEVERE use.

WIX filters seem particularly well-made. I am following the same plan as you and I think we're good to go!

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
What type of driving do you do? Are you planning to back your decision up with an oil analysis?

6 miles to work and 6 miles back with a winter 4-5 minute warmup(remote start
wink.gif
).
We use our toyota for most errands and such.
I will get an analysis done after the year just for curiousity.

Good points,Matt.

Sounds like that oil is never going to really get warmed up except one the rare occasion you take it out for a highway drive. If it were my engine I would not go beyond 6 months without a UOA to back me up, no matter what brand of oil/filter.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:
Sounds like that oil is never going to really get warmed up except one the rare occasion you take it out for a highway drive. If it were my engine I would not go beyond 6 months without a UOA to back me up, no matter what brand of oil/filter.

It's probably about 7 miles with 5 being highway.
Just when I was comfortable going the full year....
grin.gif

Why not just take it out a couple times a month and get it adequately warmed up? You don't live in Nome...

I'm not totally convinced that 4 months (maybe?) of NJ winters is going to overcome either the synthetic oil nor the high quality oil filters you are already using.

Just IMHO.

Cheers!

Colt:

You have almost the identical commute with your explorer that I have on my Toyota Tundra.

I just did an oil analysis after 6 months but drained it to put in synthetic (after 2K miles). Blackstone said to try 5K next time. I do live in Southern California so I don’t have cold temperatures to deal with or long warm up times. Here is the report:

http://thefrancks.smugmug.com/photos/62231242-L.jpg

I like the part where he said that the “wear is so low, it’s almost criminal!”. That’s the kind of UOA I like to see.

I use a K&N oil filter (I am a sucker for that 1” nut), but I would probably go with the Mobil 1 or Amsoil if it weren’t such a pain to change the oil filter on my Tundra. Seems like the oil filter is doing its job though.

So, if it were me I would get a UOA at the end of 6 months to be safe on the exploder.

I put Amsoil 5W 30 XLF in there and I will post in September my results.

Well guys,I have 10w30 summer weight Mobil 1
smile.gif
in as of the last change a week or two ago.
I'll change it like I always do in Late Oct or early Nov and do the Blackstone routine.
I don't want to run 10w30 in the winter months.
Still have about 15 qts of 10w30 left to use up in the Explorer and Toyota.
May just have the widfe bring the 10w30 Mobil 1 to Wallyworld and get a 5w30 exchange.
grin.gif

Will just stay with 5w30 from then on.

I run 6mo intervals on both my vehicles with M1 5w/30. The types of driving my wife and I do are considered 'severe service' (lots of stop and go, short trip, cold temps, etc), so it's just easier and a bit of peace of mind just to change oil in November and May and fuhgeddabodit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back