Opinions on 3/4 ton Diesel trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one were to be in the market to buy a 3/4 ton Diesel truck what are good points & bad points of each manufacture. Chevy / Gmc 6.6 Duramax with Allison transmission.
Ford Superduty with 6.7 Powerstroke, or
Ram with 6.7 Cummins.

I know some have brand loyalty and that is OK. More interested in real world experiences.

They seem to have their certain brand specific nightmares. Emission controls especially.

I bought a duramax last November and love it. Pulled a camper from kansas to California, and it pulled like a dream. I'm really impressed with it. The ride is exceptional. Nice and quiet, lots of torque and power. Lots of bells and whistles too.
On the other hand, both my sons drive a Dodge. One is the last year for the 5.9. And the other is brand new. Let me talk talk about the new one. The Cummins, IMHO, is a beast. If I could have it in my chevy, with the Allison tranny, that would be the cats meow. The ride isn't as good as my chevy. Lots of power. A little louder. Not as trimmed out as the Chevy.
Both are nice rigs. The Chevy does cost more than the dodge. But I'm partial to Chevys.
Fords, I don't know much about. I do have some buddies that own them. It always seems like there is something wrong with them. One thing or another.

Just my opinion

Among my clients, Fords are the choice for contractors. Rams are the choice among oilfield workers. Few mixed GMs in between.

Ford has the record for the highest price warranty claim: $15,000.
I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see the paperwork.

Personally, I like the Isuzu/GM Duramax.

Go over on the Ford boards and read how Ford is denying warranty coverage calling it "fuel issues".

There are some very upset owners over there.

There's this outfit on YouTube called the The Fast Lane Truck and they do this "Ike Challenge" which basically is pulling a heavy trailer up to the top of Eisenhower pass from the bottom of the hill in Silverthorne. With the HD trucks, they pulled a large trailer with a WW2 M2 Half Track on it, about 22,000 lbs if I remember right. The Ford had the best time, the Ram had the best mileage while being only slightly behind the Ford, and the Chevy didn't really stand out.

Ford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U6n3sFFZ4k

Ram:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDboC8JdaE

Chevy (different trailer setup)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUpjnXc-XJQ

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They all pump out tons and tons of suffocating diesel exhaust. I don't know how you guys can stand them.

They all have the neverending purchase of DEF exhaust fluid now,and particulate filters that need to b cleaned out every now and then.Adding to the high cost of fuel,2 batteries,adding fuel jelling agents,more frequent fuel filter replacements,expensive starters and alternators...higher weight,more wear on front end components....all to save what,2-3 mpg?

I work for a bus fleet and we are going back to gas engines in our smaller buses. Mostly 3500 GMC and some Ford.
The new emissions requirements for diesels are complex and expensive, adding to the already super high repair cost for all work on them,. Unless you realy, realy need it I would stay away from diesel in light trucks.
You can replace an entire gas engin and be ahead repair cost wise in many cases..

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They all pump out tons and tons of suffocating diesel exhaust. I don't know how you guys can stand them.

They all have the neverending purchase of DEF exhaust fluid now,and particulate filters that need to b cleaned out every now and then.Adding to the high cost of fuel,2 batteries,adding fuel jelling agents,more frequent fuel filter replacements,expensive starters and alternators...higher weight,more wear on front end components....all to save what,2-3 mpg?

2-3 mpg is massive if you go from 10mpg to 12 mpg over the course of a few hundred kmiles. Piddling around town, not under full power--not so much. And perhaps not so good for the truck to be used lightly. Buy a diesel and work it hard.

Put a trailer on the back & recheck that MPG-my work's van & enclosed trailer combo gets 8-9 MPG on the interstate, I've used the Ram on the same run w/same trailer & gotten 14. Newer diesels aren't bad for smoke, especially the DPF models, even the Ram, which only has a catalytic converter on it, only smokes for a second under hard acceleration.

I'd love to own a diesel, after a lot of research I canned the idea. The engine itself is IMO is great, the emissions system is the killer. People who use the diesel for hard work will probably have less problems than people who use it as a daily driver. The message boards show a lot of people having trouble with and hate the DEF, PCV, and EGR systems, etc.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd love to own a diesel, after a lot of research I canned the idea. The engine itself is IMO is great, the emissions system is the killer. People who use the diesel for hard work will probably have less problems than people who use it as a daily driver. The message boards show a lot of people having trouble with and hate the DEF, PCV, and EGR systems, etc.

My BMW 335d was the most satisfying car I ever drove. I was very disappointed having to sell it because of a nagging problem with the emissions system.

It's not even to save fuel. In fact, in order to get the truck to pollute less, they have it use MORE fuel! It's pretty crazy.

I can't be the only one - but I get serious headaches when I'm behind a DEF equipped diesel.

Old diesel trucks? I could smell the fumes all day and be perfectly happy.

Can you be sure the polluting truck isn't chipped? You can even get a "coal tune" meant for smoke shows, if your maturity level allows.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

My BMW 335d was the most satisfying car I ever drove. I was very disappointed having to sell it because of a nagging problem with the emissions system.

I read quite a few stories like yours, and heard of people very happy with theirs. It's a gamble I'd rather not take though.

In Indiana, Dodge is the standout for those that don't need a diesel but want one to show and shine and pour money into in aftermarket. Ive heard lots of stories on front end issues however the engine and tranny are suppose to be all but bullet proof.

Fords 250/350's are the choice for "working trucks"

Chevys are the odd ball..

However its completely reverse in gas trucks.. In Indiana GMC/Chevy are well know reliable platforms, Fords 150's are a close tie.. Dodges are not something you see in fields or being worked.. more of the "family truck" in this state.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
In Indiana, Dodge is the standout for those that don't need a diesel but want one to show and shine and pour money into in aftermarket. Ive heard lots of stories on front end issues however the engine and tranny are suppose to be all but bullet proof.

Fords 250/350's are the choice for "working trucks"

Chevys are the odd ball..

However its completely reverse in gas trucks.. In Indiana GMC/Chevy are well know reliable platforms, Fords 150's are a close tie.. Dodges are not something you see in fields or being worked.. more of the "family truck" in this state.

I would agree with the Dodge stuff here in CNY. 1/2 ton dodges are the 4 door, microbed trucks with the Hemi badge and 22s that .... don't ever get used as a trucks but show up in more affluent neighborhoods because the owners "need" a truck for some reason ... and end up renting a truck for trip to home depot so they don't scratch it.

The 3/4 and 1 ton dodge trucks end up brodozers that are rolling coal.

Ford and GM trucks get worked.

The Dodge 4500s/5500 seem to be popular for tow trucks, though.

In the 12 years and 213,000 miles that I've had my diesel Ram, I've replaced the 2 batteries 1 time, replaced the fuel filter every 12,000 miles, never replaced the starter or alternator, and had the ball joints replaced once. My truck doesn't take DEF, and does not have particulate filters. I use Power Service additives every 3-4 fillups, which is about 2000 miles. I also run the occasional gallon or two of waste oil to extend my fuel, which hasn't caused any problems in 10 years.

The diesel Ram gives me 19-20 mpg unloaded, and 14-16 when towing. It replaced a 454 Suburban, which gave me 9-10 mpg unloaded, and 8 mpg when towing. Diesel has been cost-effective for me.

But the newer trucks, probably not so much. I would avoid trucks that have EGR and DPF. DPF's are especially bad if you're going to drive around town most of the time. Low exhaust temperatures don't get the filter hot enough to self-regenerate, so they get stuck in regen mode, and in-city fuel economy really suffers. I have heard of 11 mpg in city conditions. Get the truck out on the highway towing a heavy trailer at 70 mph, and it'll do fine.

Last edited:
I think if buying new any of the Big 3 OEMs will do you fine and very reliable.

Hey, you could wait for the new Nissan Titan to come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back