Opinions on 2006 Chevrolet Suburban 2500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opinions on this 2500 Suburban? You get 6.0L engine and a heavy duty 4L80 transmission. Which is much better than the 4L60 that came on the 1500 Suburbans.

The price is $5900. 3rd row seat. 4x4, new tires

I think the price looks good and certainly comparable to what's out there on Ebay. Any other thoughts on it?

Very nice.

Give the brake lines a good look, if you're able. Reach in from the outside of the frame up and over (near the tank) to feel the ones that go to the rear axle. If they're really crusty, then they're on their way out. That's the biggest concern I'd have. Check the ATF, FWIW. You can't tell much by looking at it, but you'll know if it's toast.

The ad says one owner - maintenance records?

The body looks super clean on it, which is most of the battle. You could probably get another 100K miles out of it with reasonable care. Not bad for $5000-6000.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
That's a lot of money for one with 177K-any maintenance records? How's the underbody? Any rust?

He says:
Quote:

I am not gonna say it's completely rust free but it has some rust, as far as the brake lines, I've got them replaced just in case

I have the same year silverado 1500 HD, from PA and it's very rusty.

That's what the Burbs go for...sticker price 50K or so.
I looked on finished Ebay auctions, even 2001 might pull 6000.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
nice, but too bad it doesn't have the barn doors!

I am OK with the tailgate.

This is the rate 2500 option, they are about 1:50 as common versus regular 1500 models. Heavy engine, tranny, brakes, suspension, everything.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Very nice.

Give the brake lines a good look, if you're able. Reach in from the outside of the frame up and over (near the tank) to feel the ones that go to the rear axle. If they're really crusty, then they're on their way out. That's the biggest concern I'd have. Check the ATF, FWIW. You can't tell much by looking at it, but you'll know if it's toast.

The ad says one owner - maintenance records?

He said he replaced the brake lines..
I am going to see it tomorrow and inquire about records.

Understood about the ATF.

I have one. 6.0L w/@135k. Nothing major. Good trucks. Too bad they stopped making 2500 Suburbans.

One thing to check: The dreaded "pump rub."
The transfer case gets a pinhole in the right rear corner from a bad design.
Some rub through, others last a long time before they rub through.

Also, listen for fuel pump whine, and if present, along with a twitchy gas gauge, then you will need a fuel pump soon.

Lastly, check that the HVAC blend door works. These are problematic on 2000-2006 GM trucks/SUVs.
The stick open/closed.
I fixed mine after scouring the internet for fixes... that didn't work.
This looks like a base model, so it looks to have the simpler HVAC controls.

Hope this helps.

The Silverado 1500HD is a pretty similar vehicle with identical stuff under the hood - for example the 6.0L engine and the heavy duty transmission. Mine lasted 220K and keeps going, presumably on the original pump, though I cannot be certain because I have zero records.

I am happy that the gas tank is 37 gallons. I have a 26 gallon tank on my 1500HD silverado and it's terribly inadequate given such a thirsty 6.0L engine. Have to fill up twice a week.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back