Opinions needed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running PP since I bought my car used on 10/07. I recently had my oil pan gasket replaced under the GM Certified powertrain warranty. Since the oil was due for a change anyway, I wasn't worried about losing that oil, but now I'm a little worried about what kind of oil they used. I know the filter is a Valvoline which according to the forums is probably made by Champion Labs, so no worries there.

Here's my situation... I want to switch back, but I'm afraid if the oil leak is elsewhere, and the pan didn't fix it, then they may have to redo something and drain my oil again. Do you think the "dealer mystery oil" is ok for now? What would you do? Also, does anyone have any suggestions of the best way to remove all the old oil residue from the leak? I want to make sure I can spot fresh oil if the leak continues.

Last edited:
Leave the oil in. It won't hurt a thing.

As far as removing the residue, get under the car with a rag, and if needed a spray cleaner that's good for oil/grease. Give it a good wiping.

I am almost positive that they did not use Pennzoil Platinum, they probably used Valvoline, but call them up to find out.

Verify that the leak has in fact been fixed, then if you're really concerned about the oil they used change it out.

AD

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm not sure what your concerns are.

My concern is changing back too soon only to find out that the leak is still there and getting that oil drained again.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
First thing I`d do is call the service dept and ask what kind of oil they use.

I called the dealer. She said they use Shell oil.

Last edited:
I'd run it at least 3k, partly to get the value out of the oil, and partly to make sure there are no further leaks. Shell oil is good stuff, use it w/o worry.

" would still run it for a 1000-2000 miles, check for leaks. Then switch to the oil of your choice - if it leaks, start over."

+1. Formula Shell is certainly good enough to run for a few thousand miles while you see if they fixed the leak.

shell = good oil. Run it 3-5k miles. That evil dealer oil won't nuke your engine. If it did 99% of autos would be sitting on the side of the road with ruined engines.

There may only be one way to find out! I'd guess that it is bulk Mr Goodwrench oil, probably relabled valvoline or similar oil.

It is odd to me that if the dealer did work, that they put on a valvoline filter... Unless they just changed the oil and left your filter on?

Unless the vehicle specifically demands syn oil (in which case they likely put it in), I'd use the oil 1500+ miles. No reason not to. I'd also be carefully looking for the leak, hopefully youll find it. I might also use the opportunity to do an ARX treatment - why not?

But the worst that happens is that you waste $25-30. And even then, you could recover the oil and fill with cheap dino to drive from your home to the dealer - just keep the bottles :)

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It is odd to me that if the dealer did work, that they put on a valvoline filter... Unless they just changed the oil and left your filter on?

It went in with a black Wix filter and came back with a white Valvoline filter (it was the first thing I looked at when I picked the car up..lol.)

Yeah, it confused me a little too, but they are running a $14.99 oil change special right now. They probably bought the Valvolines in bulk to get down to that price.

OK, so here's an update. I have been watching for leaks since the oil pan gasket was replaced, and sure enough, I saw more oil coming from somewhere. I took it back to the dealer and they determined the rear main seal needs to be replaced. They had to pull the whole transmission off just to get to it. Looks like I should be able to switch back to synthetic very soon. I plan on using the $24.99 Mobil 1 filter and PP deal I got on sale at Advance and going by the oil life monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back