Opinions: Best Oil for Mazda3 2.3L w\ Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I DIY all my cars, including my girl's 2008 Mazda3 with the 2.3L motor.

I have been running Castrol Syntec 5w-20 through it. It's had 4 changes and is at 17K KM - Don't ask, Mazda requires Canadian Mazdas to follow the severe duty cycle maintenance schedule to be eligible for warranty. This means changes every 4 months or 5K KM, and seeing as how she does 12K KM a year, this is resulting in changes at 3K KM.

So my question is - I plan on keeping this car for a while and wanted to run synthetics from the second oil change, which I have been. However, at 3 changes a year and 3-4K KM per change, it seems overkill. However, the car does sit outside in +35C to -30C weather, and sees infrequent use and short driving, along with a lot of idling to warm it up before she gets in.

So, based on this usage and my oil cahgne frequency, What oil should I use?

Ran Amsoil 0w-20 and held up great. Now running Mobil 1 5w-20 and so far so good. No increase in noise or oil consumption. Running Mobil 1 until 12k miles. Will sample/UOA.

From what I've seen, these engines are easy on oil. Any API SM oil is good for 7,500 miles in this engine IMO. I drive on the aggressive side so I chose Mobil 1 for it's ability to handle heat better. Whether it's really doing anything or not I don't know.

Use the cheapest full synthetic 20wt that you can find.

You're stuck with frequency. Don't worry about the oil brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back