Opinion on Petro-Canada supreme oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I had to get a oil change. For life circumstances (time, no access to garage), I couldn't get time to do it myself and ended up getting it done at the dealer.

I asked the counter guy what oil they used and said Petro-Canada. He said, in the region, the 2 main companies having good service is Valvoline and Petro-Canada for bulk. He was pretty quick for his answers.

Oil used this time: Supreme 5w20.
Car: 2014 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI (NA) 25000Km
OCI: 6000Km (OEM filter always)
Usage: Daily at least 2x Style: Smooth, border line hypermiler. Occasional wot on onramps.

Anyways, what's the opinion of knowledgeable BITOGers on this brand?
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/552.aspx
They do have MSDS and tech-data PDF.

EDIT: Did a search. Did not find worthy results.

Last edited:
You will be fine. It "looks good" in VOAs, whatever that's supposed to mean. More importantly, it has all the certifications you require. It's well regarded and decent in the winter.

Bulk oil is bad no matter what type. Reason: additives will settle out, lots of videos on youtube showing additive residue at the bottom of retail oil jugs.

It will be fine though for your relatively short 6k KM OCI. Even if the car spends its whole life on bulk dino oil @ 6k KM, it will be fine. But if you want your engine to be as clean as factory condition, go with a retail synthetic oil and shake up the jugs before pouring it in.

For 6,000 km, Petro-Canada conventional in the bottles would be more than sufficient. As for how much settles out of bulk oil, it depends upon how long the dealer keeps a drum around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back