Opinion on Multi Vehicle ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car calls for a brand of ATF which is hard to find (at least in my area). MaxLife ATF (full synthetic) says it meets the standereds of dexron III I know many people say just use DEXRON 5 but what's your thoughts on Multi Vehicle ATF?

Maxlife dex merc is a superior synthetic fluid that is much better than mineral based dex merc fluids. It's also superior to syn blends like DexronVI.

For that 4T60 behind the 3800 Series II in that Regal (IIRC 1995 was the only year of the 4T60 and 3800 Series II), use Maxlife ATF. The stuff just plain works in many older automatic transmissions.

Any of the full synthetic ATFs that mentions your required spec will work, as will the blends.
MerconV will work fine and so will DexrobVI.

And every autopart store, along with wallyworld, have a cheap dex/merc equivalent. So, even if i wouldn't use cheap conventional ATF, i dont see why it's hard to find.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Maxlife dex merc is a superior synthetic fluid that is much better than mineral based dex merc fluids. It's also superior to syn blends like DexronVI.

I think you're getting too focused on one aspect of the fluid. A synthetic base oil does not make a fluid better. The total package (especially the friction modifiers) should be the consideration.

For instance, are french fries that were made from organic potatoes, automatically better?

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
It's a series one.

You're right, had them confused with the H-bodies which did get the Series II in 1995.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I think you're getting too focused on one aspect of the fluid. A synthetic base oil does not make a fluid better. The total package (especially the friction modifiers) should be the consideration.

Exactly, if you have an older car that has never used a synthetic ATF fluid I wouldn't start now. The friction modifiers should be very similar or exact as well. The engineers that designed that transaxle also considered things like soft plastic parts, seals, and gaskets, and if they specced a dino based fluid you should stick with that.

Last edited:
They didn't spec dino, but they spec'd the cheapest that met the minimalist requirements. Synthetic works fine in older transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back