Opinion on Cataclean?

Anyone use Cataclean to resolve a bad downstream back 02 sensor? Just had a bunch of work done including replacing all O2 sensors and now the back downstream passenger is not working per the OBD. Shop suggested the cat is dirty and suggested Cataclean before we try to replace the sensor.

It's a 1998 Ford Explorer that I want to maintain. I has 203k miles on the 4.0L SOHC, and generally runs overall great. I've spent nearly $1000 on various engine maintenance to get it running very well doing essentially everything within reason (manifold gasket, plugs, wires, oil change, radiator flush and fill, all sensors and some hoses, PCV, etc.). It still idles a bit low under strain, causing a little shake. In park or neutral that smooths out and idle is perfect.

Thoughts and experience appreciated.

Last edited:
In general, things that you pour in the gas tank don’t fix mechanical problems. I tend to avoid them.

How much does cataclean cost?

1998 Ford Explorer.

I'm thinking it might be the PCV. I think the mechanic might have mis-wired it somehow. It looked different than I think it was when I replaced it... I'm going to explore that, since I think that could throw the CEL and cause a O2 issue as well...

1998 Ford Explorer that I want to maintain. I has 203k miles on the 4.0L SOHC, and generally runs overall great. I've spent nearly $1000 on various engine maintenance to get it running very well doing essentially everything within reason (manifold gasket, plugs, wires, oil change, radiator flush and fill, all sensors and some hoses, PCV, etc.). It still idles a bit low under strain, causing a little shake. In park or neutral that smooths out and idle is perfect.

I noted upon picking it up that the PCV appeared to be in a different spot and/or connected differently. It just dawned on me that could be the cause of my CEL and O2 issues...

Oh, well. If it were one of those Toyota 2.3L engines that had a known issue with the rear O2 sensor I would have known the fix.

Useless crap that is super overpriced...

Change your O2 Sensor and PCV, and try a real fuel system cleaner with PEA...

Back