Opinion of Edmunds vs KBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

We are selling a 96 Civic LX with 180,000 miles. Interior is in excellent condition. The exterior has no real flaws given age. Mechanically it needs a timing belt in 10k miles and is due for a 30k major service now. It runs smooth and sounds fine. It also needs at least two tires although not technically worn out (4/32" tread left).

My question is that edmunds.com lists this car as average sale for $2500 and kbb.com $3500. (I rated condition good not excellent) This is a large swing in price. What is more reasonable and realistic.

Thanks for insights.

I would take the lower end of the range given and let someone else take care of the maintenance work/service due. But, it's your car.

I use the trade in value of NADA. There is a website. nadaDOTcom That's what My bank will finance. If it is a coupe then they say $2850.

I think edmunds is more realistic. KBB was developed for dealers by dealers. that's why dealers are not afraid to advertise "below blue book" deals, it was inflated in teh first place.

Like was said before, its all about how much the buyer is willing to pay. However, when I shop for a car, I use Edmunds and negotiate from there.

yeah at least edmunds averages the cost of what people in the area are paying for a new car. I have no idea where KBB gets its numbers.

Of the 2 $$'s quoted, were they trade in, private party, or dealer retail ?

I would go the private party route when selling an older, but well taken car of car.

Just detail it real well and hang a $3900 OBO For Sale sign on it.

Honda's usually sell quick.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:
Of the 2 $$'s quoted, were they trade in, private party, or dealer retail ?

I would go the private party route when selling an older, but well taken car of car.

Just detail it real well and hang a $3900 OBO For Sale sign on it.

Honda's usually sell quick.

The prices quoted are private sale.

NADA is what our insurance company used to determine "totalled" value.

All three sites are worth using, and then searching national and local listings to get a good feel for what is reasonable for asking and selling prices.

So, three sites and about 6 prices; 10-12 national listings, and 10-12 local listings ought to get you what you want.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back