Opening the oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Oil filter cutter!

A cut-off wheel on a die grinder works decent also. Some folks complain that it gets debris on the media though.

I have also used a screwdriver and a pair of yellow tin snips. It gets the job done but it's very sloppy...

A large diameter pipe cutter.

But I do not have one of those so I use a Dremel tool with the heavy duty cut off blade (not the 10 for a dollar cheapies, they are to thin). Use full face protection in case the blade gets hung up and brakes.

Easiest is a filter cutter.

CutopenL.jpg

I use a dremel (with a reinforced cut off wheel) and this is what the filters look like cut open with one;

img0866pa4.jpg

img0867bd6.jpg

Lately I picked up a air power "Dremel like" tool at Harbor Freight (which is on sale right now for $6.99) and it cuts them open with ease...

cuttersm2.jpg

Take care, Bill

I put a cutting wheel on my hand held grinder it worked fine.. easy fast and it didn't cost me anyhing I already had the grinder

Last edited:
Billy boy there has the same cutter i got and it's sweet,most recommended,opened a hundred filters
now with it from home and work and still cuts like new.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Ooooooooooo Daman, like at that evil E-Core.
LOL.gif

grin2.gif
that was one of them yes,and a bunch of FRAMS
crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

I have the Summit too. The only complaint is that if the can is too thin it tends to knurl the edges inward. You also tend to have to hold the thing in a vise ..so the thin cans distort.

I mean ..if one were to whine
grin2.gif

I guess you could put the filter in a filter socket and just push downward with enough attention, but that would do nothing if the filter wasn't fluted.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I actually think that ST filter looked pretty good.
+1 I agree. The 7317 is not an ecore, the other is, but both look good to me. Bill must be rubbing off.
wink.gif

I have the Summit also. Only complaint, on the < 3in dia. filters (both of mine) the oil can doesn't hit the guide wheels. But, it still works with a couple turns.

I use the device you see in the foreground of this photo:

All%20Laid%20Out.jpg

Works real well on all but Fram (whose can is so flimsy it collapses on even light external force application...).

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I have the Summit also. Only complaint, on the < 3in dia. filters (both of mine) the oil can doesn't hit the guide wheels. But, it still works with a couple turns.

I've got the Summit cutter tool also ... and agree with your assessment. I don't know why they didn't put bigger wheels on the thing. Maybe that's why they were on sale .... the 2nd generation design will be better.
LOL.gif
wink.gif
I'll be cutting open a Motorcraft (FL822 on the Altima) filter next weekend with it, and have used it a couple of times and works decently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back