Opened up my 01 Suzuki XL-7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Manuals call that a sway bar?

It is a strut tower brace.

That engine seems t varnishy and has some sludge for only 91 K.
Pretty harmless, but it is no role model, for sure.

point out the sludge for me please? I don't see it.

In the third pic, there is a piece of metal above the timing chain, and it appears to have some build-up on it.

I doubt it's sludge, probably just heavier varnish.....

It is called a strut tower brace. My wifes 1997 Buick has one from the OEM and it needs it. Many performance car guys add them to their car's. It stiffens the chassis by unitizing the towers to share the load when torsional stress hits. Mustang guys have used these for years!It is a fix for poorly designed platform. It is kind of like sub frame connectors if the OEM did their job then you should not need them but if they failed to do it right they can help a lot!

The RTS 5W40 could easily go 10K to 18K more then likely in this applaction with the right filteration.

I like the fact that used a double row roller timing chain that is a good set up! You do not see it much these days as everyone is trying to reduce friction but it is super durable and very precise! that is one of the mod's I used to do to any Toyota I was seting up for racing or for HP street use.

While you have the intake off now would be a good time to clean it with spray solvent like Foaming Engine Degreaser or B12 Chemtool Carb Cleaner etc......

This is what bad varnish looks like..
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
This is what bad varnish looks like..
IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

That's not bad! LOL

How much you want to bet that the heads that came off this engine might have looked a little worse
wink.gif

f150swap03.jpg

We had a 2001 XL7 and loved that SUV. We even towed a Jayco 10V PopUp camper with it. Great little rig. The only reason we traded it in was because the A/C System went out and I didn't want to pay $1,300.

Anyway....the car had 60,000 when we got rid of it and the engine was super strong.

Originally Posted By: defektes
that last pic made my stomach turn? did that come off a GM vortec?

To the OP: Whatever your doing seems to work! Nice!

Nope, its a Ford 302 with a very bad maintenance history. Truck was a 1991 F-150 IIRC. We swapped in a Mustang engine to replace it. The pics are on the board somewhere.

Originally Posted By: MrWideTires
My valve covers were leaking.. so I took the 4 hour job of replacing the valvecover gaskets... the sway bar had to come off, part of the intake manifold, some hoses, a radiator hose, I cleaned the valve covers... it took quite a while.

For the first 70k miles I ran it on whatever dino oil was on sale, then I ran Supertech synthetic 5w30 twice to clean it.. until 80k miles, then I tried Mobil 0w30 and to take it off because it was WAY TOO NOISY, and now it is in a healthy dosis of RTS 5w40.
After this I'll probably switch it to whatever synthetic is on sale... it has almost 91,000 miles right now.

838b4743.jpg

03610baf.jpg

c46b2aca.jpg

5218fc68.jpg

thats very odd,my RX is quiet on the 0W-30 MB-1

that Ford valley is typical of most engines today that run dino even if you do 3000M OCI. those light weight hydrocarbons have to go someplace and this is one common place they settle!

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
that Ford valley is typical of most engines today that run dino even if you do 3000M OCI. those light weight hydrocarbons have to go someplace and this is one common place they settle!

I should have taken pictures of it while I had the intake manifold off. My valley was clean as a whistle in my 4.3l vortec with 3k-5k OCI's.

Valve covers too.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning

This is the engine that replaced it:

f150swap05.jpg

Spent a good deal of its life on AMSOIL with EaO filters. 5,000Km OCI's.

My Mustang 302 in my sig is just as clean, its had M1 for most of its life.

Originally Posted By: defektes
that last pic made my stomach turn? did that come off a GM vortec?

To the OP: Whatever your doing seems to work! Nice!

Beating on it everyday?

Yes it does
19.gif
, I redline this SUV a few times everytime I drive it... helps to keep it really clean and it still has perfect vaccum, compression, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back