Opel Longlife equal to SAAB turbo oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using this oil in my 2005 Opel Astra 1.8 (Ecotec).
Is it equal to SAAB's turbo oil?

-

Norwegian oil:

I may be wrong, but I don't believe this is the same as the oil I know as Saab Long-life full synthetic turbo oil. I used some of the 0w-30 Saab oil in my Infiniti (Nissan) for two six-month changes. It was made in Europe (supposedly) and had several different "peel-off" labels in different languages on the back. It was spec'd at A1/B1/A5/B5, not A3/B3. It was also in a light gray similarly shaped container.

I used Mobil 1 5w-40 in the 2002 Saab 9-3.

The oil pictured above looks interesting, especially rated at A3/B3. It appears to be quite sufficient for your application, but who can tell from just looking at the label?

Did you get this from the dealer's service department? How long have you been using it?

quote:

Originally posted by dkryan:
Did you get this from the dealer's service department? How long have you been using it?

Yes, it's from the dealer. I was told this was the factory fill. Car is 6 months old.
I didn't know SAAB's turbo oil was ACEA A1..
Since this oil is ACEA A3, will it be ok in my old 1996 Audi S6 2.2 Turbo?

I'm not a big fan of 5w30 in a turbocharged engine, BUT, if that oil is A/3 rated, I would think the additive package is robust enough to provide the needed protection for your engine.

For my Saab 9-3, I wanted an A/3 oil (Mobil 1 5w40), not an A1/B1 A5/B5 oil for long oil change intervals. I changed my oil every 5,000 miles (8,000 kms - I think). How many kms do you drive between oil changes?

I'd be very interested in knowing who produces that oil and I'd like to see a "data sheet" listing the performance characteristics. I also would not mind using that oil here in the States in my Infiniti and Toyota.

Is that an "Elf" or "Agip" product?

Do you have a photo of the back of that oil jug? Any data or manufacturer listed on the back label, if there is one?

I change oil at 5000 miles (8000 km) or every 6 months. There is nothing on the bottle revealing it's producer, except made in EU. The back of the bottle has a long "product safety instruction".

I've found GC at a local shop. Called Castrol SLX Formula LongTec 0W-30 here. I will use this when winter starts..

nowegian oil,

This product looks good to me. It has all the right credentials. I would think it would be great in your Audi. The A3 rating means that it has an HT/HS of at least 3.5. This implies that the viscocity is on the high end of the 30 weights. My personal belief is that this is the sweet spot--the best place to be for both fuel economy and engine protection. The only question is whether your older Audi needs a thicker oil to reduce consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by Tones:
nowegian oil,

This product looks good to me. It has all the right credentials. I would think it would be great in your Audi. The A3 rating means that it has an HT/HS of at least 3.5. This implies that the viscocity is on the high end of the 30 weights. My personal belief is that this is the sweet spot--the best place to be for both fuel economy and engine protection. The only question is whether your older Audi needs a thicker oil to reduce consumption.

The Audi consumes 0.5 l oil pr. 2500 km. Not much.
I will test the Opel oil this autumn. Later the SLX LongTec will be tested (januar -06).

Today SSAB first fill is made with ELF EVOLUTION SXR 0W30. This product has the GM-LL-A025 approval and that's what SAAB is asking for all over the world. If the product you are using has this spec everything is fine. Concerning ACEA spec, in Europe they are currently on the latest ACEA 2004 and they are as follow:

A1/B1= Gas/Diesel = High Perf Fuel economy HTHS A2/B2= Gas/Diesel = Regular perf
A3/B3= Gas/Diesel = Very High Perf, HTHS>3.5
A5/B5= Gas/Diesel = Very High + Perf Fuel economy.

Which means with the A5/B5 spec you get the best of both world.

Hi.
Good oil indeed.we use Castrol magnatec FMX API SM ACEA A1/B1 10w-30 for the last 8 years and no dramas at all.Astra,Vectra X18XE1,Z18XE and Z32YE engines.Any thing rated A3/B3/B4 will do the job in these cars.
I have seen 150000kms+ in Astra's with A1/B1 engine oil's.

Thanks. I'm very pleased with both the oil and the car (the '05 Astra). Will have 5000 miles on it soon.
I chickened out on using this oil in my Audi since I have no data on it except the approvals. Poured GC in it instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back