OPE Oil Filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting ready for the 8 hour oil change on our X530.. Just wondering who makes the John Deere OEM filters? I more than likely will be using OEM so there will no warranty issues..

They can't void your warranty because you didn't use their filter. As long as the filter is equivalent, their shouldn't be an issue. Go buy a Purolator or a Wix and not worry about it.

Last edited:
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974, if a manufacturer stipulates that the warranty can only be kept inforce by using the manufacturer's parts or fluids; the manufacturer must provide them free of charge for the duration of the warranty period.
This is why an owners' manual will state something like "We recommend XXXX brand oil, or any oil which meets the appropriate viscosity and meet API SN/SM".

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I believe John Deere OEM is a Champ filter. I'm using a Fram Ultra on my 425.

Champ.. Hum.. Thanks I will putting a WIX on for the first change..

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1974, if a manufacturer stipulates that the warranty can only be kept inforce by using the manufacturer's parts or fluids; the manufacturer must provide them free of charge for the duration of the warranty period.
This is why an owners' manual will state something like "We recommend XXXX brand oil, or any oil which meets the appropriate viscosity and meet API SN/SM".

Thank you for this information...

Having the words John Deere painted on the outside does not necessarily make it a great filter. A couple of years ago I saw a John Deere oil filter that was just a rebadged E-core.

Yep, some years back, the smaller JD OPE oil filters were made by Champion Labs.

I know back in the 1990's, we ran the Fram equivalent (yikes) in our JD GT262 w/ a Kawasaki 17hp single cyl. Too long ago to recall the p/n though! (OEM or otherwise)

Last edited:
Who makes the Briggs and Stratton filters? I tried picking up an equivalent Fram but Walmart did not have it in stock, so the B&S was my only option at the time. They are overpriced, but they come in such weird sizes that it's hard to find automotive filters that will work.

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
Who makes the Briggs and Stratton filters? I tried picking up an equivalent Fram but Walmart did not have it in stock, so the B&S was my only option at the time. They are overpriced, but they come in such weird sizes that it's hard to find automotive filters that will work.

I use Motorcraft FL910s or Baldwin B1410 in mine. Motorcraft FL400s, Wix 51056, Wix 51348, Purolator L10241, ACDelco PF53, Baldwin B7165, NAPA Gold 1056, NAPA Gold 1348 should all work.....just make sure you have room for the length.

When it comes to using equivalent WIX filters for OPE applications, I prefer their lower-cost "Silver" line to their Gold. The Silver filters are often a bit smaller and can fit better within the tight confines of a lawn tractor's engine compartment.

Anyone try the Stens OPE filters available at Gemplers.com? They look a bit cheaper than some sources of OPE parts.

I use Wix on my small engines.
Many small engines take a Wix 51348, but cross reference your oem filter number to be sure.

Half the cost of oem, and a better built filter.

I have used a purolator PureOne PL10241 on my Kawasaki engine. If you have room for it, than using a car filter like that is the way to go. It will take a little more oil to compensate for the bigger filter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back