Oops! - ran non 508 spec oil in my 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 VW Jetta GLI that requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil. I accidentally ran a non-508 Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 for around 3000 miles until I realized my error and swapped to a correctly spec'd oil. I fully realize I made a dumb mistake, but should I be worried about this causing any issues down the road? I was fairly easy on the car during that time, with mostly long-ish trips and the occasional full-throttle runs through 2nd gear after the oil came to temp. Any insight/advice is appreciated!

Alex
Motor done now, smh should of put the correct spec in that. motor 🤓

Everybody knows VWs are junk anyways Arco...
I hear people say this about VW's but in my family we have a 1960 bug convertible that has been in the family since new. It's on its original engine and trans is 62 yrs old still driven several times a week and still sounds like a singer sewing machine. In comparison show me a 62 yr old Honda still running? A 62 yr old Toyota? Mmmm wait you won't find one haha.

I'm just poking fun here. All brands have issues of some sort. The only car that has left my Dad stranded on the side of the road? Was a Toyota (1986 Celica he bought new) and the only car that has left me stranded on the side of the road was a Toyota (1984 Corolla) haha.

Now back to the 508 oil. Huge debate over this on the VW Forums. Some people still run 502 oil in their 508 spec'd cars. The problem i have with 502 in this application is the emissions issues with it's use over time possibly? 502 could and i say could also contribute to more carbon on the valves as well. I believe the 508 is there 1. Fuel economy 2. Emissions 3. For the start/stop system. All 3 of these reasons a 20w just makes more sense.

Now if your building yourself a 600whp GLI or GTI then go by what the engine builder says to use.

I have found when I had a mk6 GTI i never had to add oil to the car on 5 yrs of owning it. My new mk7.5 (purchased new in October 2020) I've had to add oil several times. About 4-6 oz ever 4k miles or so. I have considered switching to a 0-30 504 (M1 ESP 0w30) being that it too is low to mid saps like the 508 but just a weight higher. I realize this will not be approved by VW but might help with the oil consumption.

Additionally, i have never owned a car where the manual states to not use more than a half a qt of a non approved oil or engine damage may occur? So what would happen? It will damage the emissions system causing a complete failure?? Makes no sense to me🤔

I have found when I had a mk6 GTI i never had to add oil to the car on 5 yrs of owning it. My new mk7.5 (purchased new in October 2020) I've had to add oil several times. About 4-6 oz ever 4k miles or so. I have considered switching to a 0-30 504 (M1 ESP 0w30) being that it too is low to mid saps like the 508 but just a weight higher. I realize this will not be approved by VW but might help with the oil consumption.

Additionally, i have never owned a car where the manual states to not use more than a half a qt of a non approved oil or engine damage may occur? So what would happen? It will damage the emissions system causing a complete failure?? Makes no sense to me🤔

Use a 5w40 or 0w40. my mk6 only sees 15w40.

Damage could result from a mixture that had an insufficient HT/HS, or more long term by one that had inadequate oxidation resistance. Or as you note one that had an unacceptably high ash level.

I hear people say this about VW's but in my family we have a 1960 bug convertible that has been in the family since new. It's on its original engine and trans is 62 yrs old still driven several times a week and still sounds like a singer sewing machine.
At 36hp it could last a 100 years.😆

Use a 5w40 or 0w40. my mk6 only sees 15w40.
Why though? If the car is stock? Using a 502 oil over time could mess with the emissions equip. May contribute to more carbon build up as well, plus added wear if utilizing the start/stop feature🤔

I understand in some applications where the manufacturer gives you choices of oil type. In the VW manual it specifically states NOT to use more than a 1/2 qt of non 508 oil or damage may occur. Out of all the vehicles i have ever owned never had a manufacturer state anything like that before.

Just is strange.

Will say this just made a 300 round trip drive and averaged 38.6 mpg's and on a trip from Prescott AZ to Gila Bend AZ i averages 48. These are calculated by miles driven by gallons of gas taken not by what the car states.

If i keep getting mileage like this??? I will keep using the 508😁

Why though? If the car is stock? Using a 502 oil over time could mess with the emissions equip. May contribute to more carbon build up as well, plus added wear if utilizing the start/stop feature🤔
Yes it will mess with emissions equipment, especially if your car is burning a quart per 1,000 miles, which mine doesn't burn any noticable in 7-10k miles.

Carbon buildup in mine is very clean, techron in very high concentrates go in.

HDEO's are quite stout oils and are more than suitable for my applications. I hope vw doesn't have that start stop crap in the newer generations, otherwise I'd rather spend thousands

Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 VW Jetta GLI that requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil. I accidentally ran a non-508 Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 for around 3000 miles until I realized my error and swapped to a correctly spec'd oil. I fully realize I made a dumb mistake, but should I be worried about this causing any issues down the road? I was fairly easy on the car during that time, with mostly long-ish trips and the occasional full-throttle runs through 2nd gear after the oil came to temp. Any insight/advice is appreciated!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back