Oops! - ran non 508 spec oil in my 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have a 2019 VW Jetta GLI that requires 508 spec 0W-20 oil. I accidentally ran a non-508 Castrol Edge EP 0W-20 for around 3000 miles until I realized my error and swapped to a correctly spec'd oil. I fully realize I made a dumb mistake, but should I be worried about this causing any issues down the road? I was fairly easy on the car during that time, with mostly long-ish trips and the occasional full-throttle runs through 2nd gear after the oil came to temp. Any insight/advice is appreciated!

Alex

You'll be fine. You will not be the first or the last to have made this mistake... Thank you confusing Castrol naming convention.

I personally would run 508 at least until its out of warranty. but a quality 0/20 is not going to hurt it.

What is in 508 oil that you'd even consider changing out Edge EP for fear of damage?
Not really sure - thought I'd ask the oil guys to see if they had any info about the two different varieties. Sounds now like it's nothing for me to worry about, really appreciate the help everyone.

I am half tempted to skirt the euro 504 approval because the choices are limited and the effectiveness I have read is suspect.....

That said I have 30k mile free ride.
And I am not married to a 10k oil change.
But I need to study up a bit..
Confusion with euro spec oils leave owners confused.

I am half tempted to skirt the euro 504 approval because the choices are limited and the effectiveness I have read is suspect.....

That said I have 30k mile free ride.
And I am not married to a 10k oil change.
But I need to study up a bit..
Confusion with euro spec oils leave owners confused.
Interesting, what is suspect about the effectiveness of the 504 00 approval? I’m interested because I use that in my new Tiguan, from what the approval requires I always considered it quite robust.

I don't know, but are lubrication engineers splitting hairs with the different euro oils. Would any syn oil really make much difference? I just don't know.

Laughing at yourself now?
Nah , laughing at reactions, because running 15w40 in my 2.5 all its life did nothing to it. Running 15w40 in the now 2.0 has done nothing to it. Running 20w50 in toyota camry did nothing to it, and when I get a mk7 you best bet I will be running 15w40 in it.

No point in running a vw spec oil when 15w40 makes every other oil look weak. We all know 15w40 should've been much more popular than 0w20 if there wasn't cafe standards. Long live the 40 and 30 weight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back