Ooops. I overdosed my gas tank this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I pulled a no-brainer last Monday. The tank in my 93 Chevy P.U. was close to empty, so I decided to fill er up. It has a 32 gallon tank in it. I filled er up with 91 octane, because it was the only one that was "ethanol-free", and I added 32 oz. of Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner. Wow. I finally figured it out tonight, why my truck was sluggish, with no power, and "popping". I assume the "popping" was coming up the intake, but not sure. I changed out the fuel filter, took the throttle body apart, and cleaned it up real good. That had zero effect. Finally, I got to thinking - the gas. I drained the tank, about 30 gallons, went and filled it up with about 20 gallons of 87 octane gas, and took it for a spin. What a difference! I didn't realize how much difference that would make.
Would it of been OK with just the 91 octane, and no Techron? Or 87 octane fuel with the Techron added? Does the Techron boost up the octane levels?
Now I have about 30 gallons of this "rocket fuel", and am not sure what to do with it. I have an 08 Chevy Silverado, with the "Flex Fuel" engine, and was wondering if it would be OK in it. Any thoughts?

Unless you have water in this fuel, i don't see 32 oz of techron in 32 gallons of fuel causing a problem. 1oz per gallon should not cause the symptoms you describe.

I agree that something was wrong with the fuel before you got a hold of it.
Going high a bit high on the octane isnt going to cause a problem. This is a Flex fuel engine which E85 is around 100 octane, IIRC.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: morepwr
That sounds like you got a bad tank of gas rather than anything you did to it.

+1

Could the gas been in there a while?

+2

Definately bad gas. I use 91 octane (non-ethanol gets better milage) on my low compression 3800 Buick with Techron and runs like a champ. They owe you a refund!

You could add a gallon or two of the old fuel at a time when you fill up. You won't suffer a loss $, then.
It should not be noticeable when driving, but if it is, it will be minor.

You might add a few bottles of dry gas ( denatured alcohol) to see if that makes it usable. 30gallons is a lot of fuel to waste.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
You might add a few bottles of dry gas ( denatured alcohol) to see if that makes it usable. 30gallons is a lot of fuel to waste.

Yep, I did that today. I bought 2 bottles of the "red" bottle Heet, and added it to the gas. I then put the gas in various vehicles, that was mixed with "good" gas. Everything seems to be running fine! Thanks all for your help!

91 octane fuel burns slower then 87. If your truck doesn't call for it don't use it. I notice you called the 91 octane "rocket fuel". I sure hope you don't think that it somehow has more energy to it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Why add 'Heet' when you can simply use ethanol fuel?
Much more alcohol and at no cost.
More than likely, he's afraid to add more "fuel" to this already 32 gallons of fuel
wink.gif
So why not "water it down" a bit with some HEET
smile.gif

Sounds like a good idea to me.......I'd take this to craigslist or the local news paper columns.....sounds like that station is handing out "bad gas" - cause yea, no way 32 oz. of Chevron is gonna cause harm to 32 gallons of fuel, at 1 oz. per gallon....haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back