Only took an hour to dispose of some used oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a local parts chain that has a locked up tank outside behind a fence. All you do is ask for the key. Elapsed time, about 10 sec. I was told at the local community recycle place that they would not take the new oil containers because of the residual oil in them. This seems to kind of defeat having them made out of recyclable plastic in the first place.

The one time I've taken 'oil' to be recycled I wasn't hassled a bit. I had probably 10-12 gallons in containers ranging from old windshield washer fluid jugs to cat litter containers to 20 liter kerosene buckets. No complaints at all about the containers I used. The 'oil' in the containers consisted of oil, tranny fluid, probably some gasoline, maybe some antifreeze and *** knows what other types of lubricants were in there. There was also a big chunk of ice that the recycling barrel pumps had a hard time actually pumping.

quote:

Do you guys put the empty qts in your recycle bin?

Call your city's recycling program to find out. We do that here.

Recycling used motor oil is easy here. Call the city to get the recycle jars (for oil) and the plastic bags (one for oil filter), which will be delivered by the garbage collection truck. Put the used oil and filter in and leave them on the curb side on the next garbage collection day. The driver will leave the same number of empty jars/plastic bags for your next recycling. Of course, the cost of the convenience must have been factored into the garbage collection fee (18.30/month, I think.)

weird, I always return used oil at autozone. the customer service is so bad there, no one acknowledges me. I don't say anything. I walk straight in the back, dump all my used oil in their container. walk out of the store. no log in or anything. they don't say anything while I leave either. I guess I'm one bad lookin dude.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
weird, I always return used oil at autozone. the customer service is so bad there, no one acknowledges me. I don't say anything. I walk straight in the back, dump all my used oil in their container. walk out of the store. no log in or anything. they don't say anything while I leave either. I guess I'm one bad lookin dude.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

That's pretty much what I do too. The first time I used the particular store by my house I asked them where the oil recycling was. They just pointed to the back. Now I just walk right in behind the counter to the back, dump the oil, and head out. Takes 1 min tops. The clerks seem lazy and most of the time they don't even look at me and no one has ever said anything.

BTW when I lived in CA the Autozones there seemed to want to have their employees dump the oil starting about 2 years ago. I used to be able to just walk to the back and dump it like I do here but then they started to clamp down and would not let anyone behind the counter. Not sure if they got ripped off or what. Anyway, in GA it couldn't be easier!

I take my used oil to a county park that has recycling. Have you heard of the hassles these guys go through if something happens? Everyone down the chain gets hit. It is really ridiculous as far as I am concerned. If I had a garage I wouldn't take oil from anyone else. It isn't worth the hassle.

The Kragen and AutoZones here let you dump your own oil into their tanks. I have 2 5-gallon kerosene jugs just for that purpose.

Same here in Cincinnati. I just walk to the back of the AutoZone with my 6 gallon tank and dump it. One time I had to tell the manager to schedule a pick-up because his tank was full. He thanked me and I was on my way.

Here in San Francisco some Kragen stores take used oil. I have had no problem and they just let me dump it from my own containers in their used oil tank. They don't want people to come in with quart bottles, though. I use large DELO and M1 jugs for those used oil runs, and I always keep those bottles.

AutoZone is quite nice here.
No hassles.
BTW when the tanks get full, they put a big sign on the front door stating just that, so you don't have to waste your time and theirs.

We let people dump their own oil, no problem, they just have to ask and fill out the log. I don't really care what container it is in, as long as it is mostly oil. One guy was POed because we didn't dump it for him! I can't abandon people at the counter to dump oil, and its not like we're charging for the service of accepting used oil. What's worse is that he acted like he would grudgingly dump it on his own, made a huge mess and stormed off, leaving me to clean up nasty oil at my first convenience.
frown.gif

if you guys need containers for free go behind a restaurant and get the salad oil containers. Thye usually throw them out iwth the trash.and did I also say they were free?

There were 2 5q jugs marked "motor oil" or something like that was left out on the ground when I went to the municipal recycling center today. The center clearly states the products they handle, MO is not one of them. What a half-assed effort to take the stuff to a recycle center and not someplace that actually accepts it! Is it ignorance or stupidity? Someone has to take them away now, I should have.

I consider myself very lucky to live in a community that accepts waste oil for free...wlll, not exactly. I'm sure it's figured into the garbage collection fees.

Anyway, I just drive over to the transfer station outside of town, let the guy in the booth know I have waste oil and dump it into the same sump as the waste oil that comes from the garage truck maintenace yard. I get to keep my Rubbermaid 5-gallon jug.

I'm just waiting for some idiot to pour carb cleaner, etc. into the sump and ruin it for the rest of us.

I've whined about the troubles I go through before but this took the cake.

I changed the oil in my truck, drained it from the truck into my pan, then used a funnel to put the used oil into a 6qt QS container.

Off to Pep Boys. Stood at the bay door for 10mins before anyone acknowledged me. They finally came up and said I can't dump it untill I sign the log at the front desk.

Went to front desk, waited in line for 20 mins. Then the managers had to have a meeting regarding my container.

Seems that my container is not an "Approved" recycling container. An approved recycling container is one that you drain the oil into and then close it up. Funiling oil from a pan into anything else is not acceptable!

I was asked what I drained it into and how I got it into the green jug!

This took 10 mins.

They finally decided to let me dump it so I filled out the log and headed back out to the 1st bay.

Waited another 15 mins for one of their guys to push the mobile oil catcher up to the plastic chain.

Their mobile thing was full! I got most of my oil into it, not wanting to wait for them to empty it I took the last qt back home with me.

mad.gif

Now that's what I'm sayin'!

At least you didn't have to wait while the manager argued with the counter guys as to which Chinese buffet they were going to order lunch from (Advance Auto Parts, Hanover, PA).

Seriously though, is it any wonder why some people get fed up with this and just pour the oil in storm drains? Note: I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT EVER.

I usually take mine to Firestone and they take the containers and the oil. This time they had me dump it and I had to take the containers home. Do you guys put the empty qts in your recycle bin? The garbage??

Autozone has always been very fast in accepting my oil. I walk in they ask if they may help me I say I have some used oil and they take it to the back and dump it into there bulk container. Sometimes I have to log it in..other times I do not. In return I try to buy materials from AZ. It is actually more convenient to me than shopping walmart and the hassle free recycling is a benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back