Only one approval to run in all of your vehicles - which one?

D1G2 for me. Not that either of my Ford vehicles actually requires it, but the Ford specifications are harder to find and match up.

And I tend to use Kirkland or Supertech unless Pennzoil is on sale for less.

Which oils have both of those?
Motul 5w40 X-Clean 8100
Valvoline 5w40 Synpower MST C3
Havoline 5w40 Ultra S

To name a few. I used to religiously use Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5w40 which had a ton of approvals including A40 and was specified as being C3 but it seems to have lost a lot of the approvals. I don't know if they've got more stringent or the formula changed.

Motul 5w40 X-Clean 8100
Havoline 5w40 Ultra S

To name a few. I used to religiously use Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5w40 which had a ton of approvals including A40 and was specified as being C3 but it seems to have lost a lot of the approvals. I don't know if they've got more stringent or the formula changed.

Does C40 supercede A40?

Motul 5w40 X-Clean 8100
Havoline 5w40 Ultra S

Thanks but how odd, at least to me. That Valvoline product no longer claims “suitability” with Porsche A40, and doesn’t appear in the Porsche approved oil list. A40 doesn’t permit a 30-grade anyway (only 40 or 50) so I doubt it ever had actual approval. The Havoline product does not have Porsche approval so that’s only what amounts to an incorrect recommendation.

As for the Motul product I also do not see where Motul claims Porsche A40 approval? The 8100 X-cess poduct does however (but isn’t ACEA C3), but not the X-Clean. Unless I’m missing something.

German Aral High Tronic 5W-40 used to have A40 and 229.51 (so a C3). Think they still have those approvals. Should have LL-04 and dexos2 too. Cheap in Europe!

TBN isn’t the distinguishing factor between the two approvals.
I think they meant SAPS level.

I too have noticed a few Porsche A40 mid-SAPS oils, as well as the more common high-SAPS.

To me BMW LL-04 and VW 504/507 (= Porsche C30 I believe) are the true low-SAPS Euro oils.

But just from looking around, I never bothered to chase it up or study it.

Back