Only Daimler-Chrysler...

... would combine the somewhat rare M12x1.25 tube nut size (most are 1.0) with a double/inverted flare... most Metric flares are ISO/Bubble...

No local places open this weekend do not have the size, only NAPA, but NAPA only has it in ISO flare. Mopar P/S part is $240 for 2 feet of bent 1/4" brake line. No.

What is this all about? Replacing a rusted and spewing 1/4" Power Steering line on an old Dakota. I bent and flared a 1/4 brake line line using 1/2"x20TPI tube nut ends, but they are a tiny bit too large, just won't screw in. (1.25 and 20TPI are very, very close thread pitches... 1/2 is only .020" larger than M12). This is one case where my calibrated eyeball sizing failed me. Had to order some from eBay seller goodbrakes with 2 weeks delivery, hopeful local Grainger or somebody else local might have it Monday morning.

OK rant over. I hope this helps somebody looking to make their own, to get the right fittings up front.

Can you get an adapter fitting?
Since M12-1.25 double flare (non-ISO) is already rare, adapters are even more rare... plus I would need two, and the extra length I'd have to redo one end where it does straight up and then loops down and over. It would be too tall. Plus twice the chance of leaks.

I'll just get the right parts, cut off the ends and do it right.

Since M12-1.25 double flare (non-ISO) is already rare, adapters are even more rare... plus I would need two, and the extra length I'd have to redo one end where it does straight up and then loops down and over. It would be too tall. Plus twice the chance of leaks.

I'll just get the right parts, cut off the ends and do it right.
What, exactly, is it connected to?

I would link a Mopar parts diagram and tell you the number, but I've yet to actually find the part. It is neither the pressure nor return hose. 3.9L 4WD.

Well Jaraxle, thanks to your prompting I just found it on Rock Auto. Unfortunately it's only available in CarDone lol. Still $9 is better than the $240 price I got from the local Dodge dealer. For the price difference, I could put up with the questionable quality and install a new one every year for 25 years. If it were only not such a PITA to get to one side (buried between: front pumpkin, P/S whatever, rack & pinion, engine mount, another line, and diff vent.

"Rack and Pinion Hydraulic Transfer Tubing Assembly"

One end goes into the top of the rack & pinion on the passenger side. The other end goes over to the driver's side where it goes into the side of some slanted column thingie that is not the power steering pump.

Normally I would just cut the old nuts off and reuse them, but besides both being chewed up to hell getting them off, the passenger side is rusted/corroded to the point it leaks, which is why I am replacing it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure about these but overall I haven’t had good luck with Cardone products but heck for that price I’d take a risk too lol.

Now that I've found the full part, it's everywhere, that's not the issue. It was a small job that was supposed to be done on Saturday afternoon, and would have, but D-C chose some bizarro fitting choice that barely exists in the aftermarket world, but is almost identical to a common part they could have used.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if Cardone uses the wrong (bubble flare) fittings... because, Cardone. I trust my own janky tube bending and flaring over that company.

To be fair mixing metric and SAE was classic 90's Chrysler even pre-"merger", Mercedes has been all metric since basically the beginning.

Yeah they were definitely behind the curve there, Ford and GM got through most of that in the 80's.
Haha I have a 1994 Ford E-150 most of the bolts on it are SAE some are metric but their is more SAE. I honestly like that though because it gives me a chance to use my SAE stuff more.

Back