Only a "Handfull" of Spectacular Oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would ask Art V. - he is the "keeper of the syn"! I think it was a combo of the high HTHS, -65f pour point and ACEA A3 B3/B4 rating, other than an Asian MSDS that said "70-80% PAO" like the AFE does. So you may call this speculation but show me a >> 3.5 hths and a -65F p on a group iii.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would ask Art V. - he is the "keeper of the syn"! I think it was a combo of the high HTHS, -65f pour point and ACEA A3 B3/B4 rating, other than an Asian MSDS that said "70-80% PAO" like the AFE does. So you may call this speculation but show me a >> 3.5 hths and a -65F p on a group iii.

Apparently, Petro Canada's 0w40 is (though I have not heard back from Petro Canada yet to confirm):

Pour Point: -66C/-87F
HTHS: 4.04

Let's not forget the incomparable Mobil EP which, unlike that other 15,000 oil, can actually go the distance.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Most any oil is very good today. I use Formula Shell in my rides.
I also use Valvoline, Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Mobil clean, Advance auto parts house brand, Super Tech, etc... I think at one time or another I've used them all. Never blew up anything with any of them.

+1...minimum standards for todays base oils are very high. True measurable wear in your run of the mill production engine will be negligeable between the cheapest SM rated dino and the most expensive syn you can buy....using OEM OCI intervals.
"Spectacular" and "Boutique" Syn's take the lead in extended drains, or high heat/high output engines. I know a lot of folks run syn for 5000km intervals around here where I live because they want the "best" protection...just seems like a total waste of money and oil to me :)

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Apparently, Petro Canada's 0w40 is (though I have not heard back from Petro Canada yet to confirm):

Thats outstanding given the bottom reaches of pure PAO:
Chevron Synfluid® PAO 6 cSt
Highly Branched Isoparaffinic Polyalphaolefin
Application Synfluid® 6 cSt PAO can be used in many industrial and automotive lubricant applications. These include gear oils, compressor
oils, engine oils, hydraulic fluids, greases, and other functional fluids.
Handling Maximum temperatures of 65 ºC (149 ºF) for handling and ambient for long-term storage are recommended. For specific
instructions on handling, see MSDS.
Typical Properties
Property Typical Value
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 212°F, 100°C 5.8
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 104°F, 40°C 30.5
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ -40°F, -40°C 7,749
Viscosity Index 138
Pour Point, °F, °C -78 (-61)
Flash Point (COC), °F, °C 475 (246)
Fire Point (COC), °F, °C 527 (275)
Volatility, Noack, wt% 6.3
Specific Gravity, 60°/60°F, 15.6°/15.6°C 0.8278
Density, lb/gal 6.893
Total Acid Number Bromine Index Odor No Foreign Odor
Appearance Clear and Bright
Color, Pt-Co 0
MSDS

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Thats outstanding given the bottom reaches of pure PAO:
Chevron Synfluid® PAO 6 cSt
Highly Branched Isoparaffinic Polyalphaolefin
Application Synfluid® 6 cSt PAO can be used in many industrial and automotive lubricant applications. These include gear oils, compressor
oils, engine oils, hydraulic fluids, greases, and other functional fluids.
Handling Maximum temperatures of 65 ºC (149 ºF) for handling and ambient for long-term storage are recommended. For specific
instructions on handling, see MSDS.
Typical Properties
Property Typical Value
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 212°F, 100°C 5.8
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ 104°F, 40°C 30.5
Kinematic Viscosity, cSt @ -40°F, -40°C 7,749
Viscosity Index 138
Pour Point, °F, °C -78 (-61)
Flash Point (COC), °F, °C 475 (246)
Fire Point (COC), °F, °C 527 (275)
Volatility, Noack, wt% 6.3
Specific Gravity, 60°/60°F, 15.6°/15.6°C 0.8278
Density, lb/gal 6.893
Total Acid Number Bromine Index Odor No Foreign Odor
Appearance Clear and Bright
Color, Pt-Co 0
MSDS

Indeed, it is a very impressive oil. Though we seem to have found out it is a majority PAO lubricant with some Group V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back