Only 2 Toyota's qualified for NASCAR race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a good sign, folks. This is where the rubber meets the road in NASCAR - intermediate sized tracks where downforce and handling are more important than HP and the aero package.

Dave Blaney is the top qualifying Toyota in 11th. The only other Toyota qualified is Dale Jarrett, starting dead last using a Past Champions provisional start. He is not only the slowest car in the field, but he was the slowest Toyota on the track. His speed is 2.3mph slower than the last car to qualify on speed (Ryan Newman, starts 39th).

New mfr + new cars + new teams = disaster in NASCAR. Get used to it, Toyota.

Code:

1 9 Kasey Kahne McDonald's Dodge 184.856

2 40 David Stremme Coors Light Dodge 184.193

3 19 Elliott Sadler Dodge Dealers/UAW Dodge 183.874

4 42 Juan Pablo Montoya # Texaco/Havoline Dodge 183.187

5 31 Jeff Burton Cingular Wireless Chevy 182.976

6 10 Scott Riggs Auto Value/Bumper to Bumper/Valvoline Dodge 182.865

7 41 Reed Sorenson Target Dodge 182.822

8 14 Sterling Marlin Waste Management Chevy 182.525

9 13 Joe Nemechek CertainTeed Chevy 182.266

10 2 Kurt Busch Miller Lite Dodge 182.020

11 22 Dave Blaney Caterpillar Toyota 181.775

12 5 Kyle Busch Kellogg's/Carquest Chevy 181.763

13 99 Carl Edwards Office Depot Ford 181.568

14 01 Mark Martin U.S. Army Chevy 181.494

15 78 Kenny Wallace Furniture Row Chevy 181.378

16 07 Clint Bowyer Jack Daniel's Chevy 181.293

17 11 Denny Hamlin FedEx/Kinko's Chevy 181.074

18 16 Greg Biffle Ameriquest/3M Ford 181.032

19 15 Paul Menard # Menards/Johns Manville Chevy 180.953

20 29 Kevin Harvick Shell/Pennzoil Chevy 180.905

21 38 David Gilliland M & M's Ford 180.892

22 45 Kyle Petty Wells Fargo Dodge 180.886

23 48 Jimmie Johnson Lowe's Chevy 180.820

24 18 J.J. Yeley Interstate Batteries Chevy 180.802

25 20 Tony Stewart Home Depot Chevy 180.596

26 1 Martin Truex Jr. Bass Pro Shops Chevy 180.542

27 96 Tony Raines DLP HDTV Chevy 180.487

28 8 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Budweiser Chevy 180.409

29 66 Jeff Green Samsung Four Seasons of Hope Chevy 180.307

30 4 Ward Burton State Water Heaters Chevy 180.258

31 80 Aric Almirola Joe Gibbs Driven Chevy 180.174

32 70 Johnny Sauter Yellow Transportation Chevy 180.156

33 26 Jamie McMurray Crown Royal Ford 180.090

34 25 Casey Mears National Guard/GMAC Chevy 180.060

35 6 David Ragan # AAA Ford 179.826

36 24 Jeff Gordon Nicorette/DuPont Chevy 179.635

37 17 Matt Kenseth DeWalt Ford 179.462

38 7 Robby Gordon Ford 179.342

39 12 Ryan Newman alltel Dodge 179.217

40-OP 88 Ricky Rudd Snickers Ford 179.051

41-OP 21 Jon Wood Air Force Ford 175.873

42-OP 43 Bobby Labonte Cheerios/Betty Crocker Dodge 0.000

43-PC 44 Dale Jarrett UPS Toyota 176.869

DNQ 84 * AJ Allmendinger # Red Bull Toyota 179.964

DNQ 49 Mike Bliss ZoneLoans Dodge 179.778

DNQ 37 John Andretti Camping World Dodge 179.223

DNQ 83 Brian Vickers Red Bull Toyota 179.004

DNQ 00 David Reutimann # Domino's Pizza Toyota 178.571

DNQ 36 Jeremy Mayfield 360 OTC Toyota 177.258

DNQ 72 Brandon Whitt # Dutch Quality Stone Chevy 176.523

DNQ 34 Kevin Lepage Dodge 175.393

DNQ 55 Michael Waltrip Napa Toyota 173.422

DNQ 47 Ken Schrader Ore-Ida/Kingsford/Clorax Ford 0.000

They (the TOY teams) will just use this as an excuse for the Nippon Giant to dump even more of their Camry/Corolla trillion$ into the program. Have no fear, they will make sure that they outspend everyone else to ensure a win/series championship. They have done it (including abject cheating) in EVERY other racing series/program they've been involved in, including F1, although it does not seem to be paying off for them there. In fact, it's an outright embarassment for them, especially considering the years they've been in it so far. Maybe they're not as "superior" as they think??
patriot.gif

Quote:

They (the TOY teams) will just use this as an excuse for the Nippon Giant to dump even more of their Camry/Corolla trillion$ into the program. Have no fear, they will make sure that they outspend everyone else to ensure a win/series championship. They have done it (including abject cheating) in EVERY other racing series/program they've been involved in, including F1, although it does not seem to be paying off for them there. In fact, it's an outright embarassment for them, especially considering the years they've been in it so far. Maybe they're not as "superior" as they think??
patriot.gif

Is your diaper wet AGAIN?
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

The C.O.T. will probably even the playing field. Bristol will be the benchmark for Toyota's engine package, as all the cars will be the same with the C.O.T., except for the engines. PC NASCAR will now be a reality.

Quote:

Quote:

patriot.gif

Is your diaper wet AGAIN?
yawn.gif
yawn.gif

Hey, how ya doing Mokie?? Tell me, do you seek out every thread you see me post in, so you can make some smug acerbic comment??
yawn.gif

Quote:

patriot.gif

I am not a NASCAR fan (nothing against it, just don't need to watch more TV than I already do). However, my experience with the Japanese have led me to come to these observations:

1) Once a decision is made by the group, the only thing that will stop it will be resources. Even admission that the idea was flawed will not stop the train.
2) They must be #1. There is no room to be second to anyone. They will not enter into competition unless they believe they can become #1.
3) They are a nation with few natural resources but are a world economic power. So they do think quite highly of their achievements.
4) Never underestimate their resolve.

Keep in mind these are not Japanese-run race teams. Since technology is restricted in NASCAR, automakers simply do not have the opportunity to exploit the rule books and dump mega$$$ in their zeal to win at all costs.

Where money helps in NASCAR is with personnel, R&D, logistics and of course marketing. Currently Toyota manages all the development of their race engines but I think NASCAR will strongly encourage them to "open the books" and support 3rd party engine builders.

Finally, keep in mind that in Formula One, where money is no object, Toyota hasn't done squat.

Quote:

Finally, keep in mind that in Formula One, where money is no object, Toyota hasn't done squat.

This despite the Nippon Giant outspending all of the other teams 10 to 1. This is the reason I questioned their "superiority". Remember, this is on the world motorsports stage, where they have much "face" to lose with this program. I guess their "Nippon pride" will drive them to find a newer, better, higher tech way of cheating in order to win there?

Did everyone expect Toyota to dominate in their first year of Nascar while fielding cars run by 2nd-3rd rate teams, being driven by drivers that suit those teams? No one can do that. I don't expect them to even win a race given the teams they were able to acquire. It's not just Toyota though. Just look at the Dodge teams for more examples of what happens when the cars aren't built and run by just a certain handful of people, even with a good driver compliment.

Seriously folks, get a grip...

Quote:

Did everyone expect Toyota to dominate in their first year of Nascar while fielding cars run by 2nd-3rd rate teams, being driven by drivers that suit those teams? No one can do that. I don't expect them to even win a race given the teams they were able to acquire. It's not just Toyota though. Just look at the Dodge teams for more examples of what happens when the cars aren't built and run by just a certain handful of people, even with a good driver compliment.

Seriously folks, get a grip...

It does seem that they did this on purpose (pick lower teams/drivers) to ease into Cup and not p*** off those that did not want them there in the first place. This is the Nippon corp. way of doing things (I don't want to say "sneaky", but, oh well). I suspect that after not too much of this "embarassment" and "lost face", the N.G. will "buy" a big name team/driver(s) by throwing their trillion$ at them, who would be able to resist?? Loyalty, tradition, "American pride" ALL go out the window in the presence of that kind of money. I DO think they are waiting for JPM to "get his feet wet" and learn/bang up other teams' equipment, and develop his oval skills, THEN they will "pounce" on him. It makes sense, since he's driven for them before, and probably has no qualms about joining them again.

Even if Toyota were dominating in all racing, from Nascar to F-1, when you look at their current vehicle lineup, there is nothing there that "screams" performance. Just boring Camry's, Prius',and SUV's. I mean you could look at Lexus as "performance" but even than thats just bulky luxury. Scion is there too, but a boxcar and a "hip" coupe (TC) don't exactly say performance either. I think they need to go old school on this one, with the mentality "race on sunday, sell on monday" theme. By that I think they should bring back the Supra, or some sort of Iconic Toyota that will get the attention of race lovers. I know if I saw a sweet new Supra I'd really consider it if I wanted a sports car. But once again, most (Didn't say all) Nascar fans, dare I say it, are true at heart Rednecks. And if it doesn't have that Chevy Bowtie, Ford Oval, or Dodge nameplate, they just won't touch it. I think Toyota will have to sway the minds of many fans before they can become popular. And to further elaborate and waste readers attention with this post, I'd like to say that I feel Nascar really isn't very cool to see anymore. I think back when they were REAL stock cars,(not super aluminized tube framed with a shell of a fake exterior with a trillion sponsors), that those cars had character. Now every car is the exact same, with the exception the shell placed on it. Hate to be so down, but thats my reasoning for finding Nascar so unappealing. But hasn't money ruined every sport? Baseball, Football, Basketball all come to mind... Flame me people, my down attitude was just asking for it!!! haha
smile.gif

You guys think its mere coincidence Toyota entered Nascar this year, with the COT coming out soon. Where do you think they poured most of their money for R&D? Into a car that will be obsolete in 2007? I think not.

I believe Toyota strategically chose this year, simply due to the new COT coming out. All teams start from scratch, with little advantage at first. The learning curves have begun at the exact same time. No one will have the advantage!

And IMO, the COT will do more harm to Nascar than good.

Quote:

But once again, most (Didn't say all) Nascar fans, dare I say it, are true at heart Rednecks. And if it doesn't have that Chevy Bowtie, Ford Oval, or Dodge nameplate, they just won't touch it.

The real irony is that even those "rednecks" you mention are now driving Camrys/Accords. Yes, it used to be just the coasts/large metro areas were ALL importees. Now even the reddest of the red "middle", south and west are "turning Japanesa" (just look at this site as an example). It ain't just the left and right coast "liberals" buying Nippon nameplates anymore.
frown.gif

I don't think the COT is going to help Nascar in any way. It *might* make the drivers a bit safer but that's it. The cars are aerodynamic disasters that'll be fragile in use. Outside of the short tracks, one on track "misalignment" of the splitter or wing and you'll go straight to the back.

I don't see any way it'll help Toyota either. The good teams are still going to win because they have the talent and experience both in the garage and behind the wheel. And right now, Toyota has none of those teams...

Hit submit too soon.

One thing the COT might do is make things easier on Nascar. Since their object is to get all 43 cars to cross the finish line at the same time it'll make the weekly rules massaging for equality much easier by removing a few more degrees of freedom in the cars...

Quote:

Toyota did pretty well in todays Oz GP. Williams/Toyota beat the Toyota/Toyotas. They are making ground.

Maybe so, but for the manner in which the N.G. outspends all of the other teams combined, along with the number of years in the series, everyone else should be chasing them, NOT vice versa!
wink.gif

The commentators said that Toyota was spending more on their race program than what the world is spending on global warming and after 6 years they are still a big embarrassment.

They will do OK in the end if they can get a real team.

As far as I am concerned I would be much happier with NACAR if they went to NHRA qualifying, Top 43 on speed and the rest go home. Can't go fast your not needed, period. If you wanted to give a CURRENT champions provisional I might be able to accept that. Also you want to get junk dropping cars off the track that is easy too and it makes winning more important too, FIA scoring.

1st - 10 pts
2nd - 8
3rd - 6
4th - 5
5th - 4
6th - 3
7th - 2
8th - 1
9th and lower get ZERO, ZIP, NADA.

You fail tech inspection eject them from the race, fail postrace, you loose the weekend too. No points no money.

Get caught cheating, loose 2 men over the way for the next 3 races you qualify for you already get to go home this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back