Only 1K miles in one year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roughly two years ago I picked up a '99 Civic to replace my '96 3.8L Camaro as my daily driver. Since I've had the Civic, the Camaro rarely gets driven, maybe once every two weeks 15 miles medium trips but spirited driving.

When I looked at my OCI board, I noticed that my last change was a year ago and only 1,000 miles ago with a M1 filter/PP 10w30 change.

Should I change it out and maybe go for a lesser oil due to the limited usage? I'm going to try to make an effort to drive it once a week to work which would be 40 miles a day, two 20 minute trips at freeway speeds.

FWIW, oil analysis for the Camaro had always turned out well on 5k OCIs back when it saw more usage.

Is the Camaro parked inside a garage, or is it outside?

My concern would be for moisture getting where it shouldn't get.

You could go with a cheaper oil on a once a year change, and not worry at all.

That's what I do with my 2 cars, that I drive less than 500 miles a year. I use Wal-Mart Hi-Mileage oil, and a NAPA ProSelect oil filter every spring. Costs about $15 a car total.

Mine sit inside a garage that never gets colder than 50 degrees, nor warmer than 80 degrees, and the humidity stays rather low.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Your oil/filter combo will do 2-3 years, easily. We've seen it a number of times.

You know, as I get older (and wiser), I totally agree, especially with a proven synthetic like Platinum.

As long as it does get to operating temp and driven "spiritedly" after it's up to temp, everything should be fine.

Seriously....I'd do the $15 oil change/filter DINO special that Advanced Auto/Pep Boys/Auto Zone is offering at the time once a year.

You do not need anything more that this. And it's 15 dollars.

Originally Posted By: adibigs
Most of the vehicles of choice you guys own are junk, just use conventional oil.
lol

Most of the vehicles of choice you guys own are junk, just use conventional oil.

A Camaro is junk? I don't think so.

Troll alert!
I guess you can't hide from them no matter where you go.

Says the guy who owns a Hyundai....

Coming from a guy who drives a Hyundai.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Says the guy who owns a Hyundai....

What does owning a Hyundai have to do with anything? Those are among the best vehicles being manufactured today.

Back to the OP, I would just change the PP and filter once a year and be done with it. Its just $30 a year for your peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt
What does owning a Hyundai have to do with anything? Those are among the best vehicles being manufactured today...

+1! They don't know what they are missing...

To add some additional background info:

- Car is garaged (California weather, no moisture in garage)
- Despite short trips, always got up to temp/freeway.

FWIW, the Camaro has had over 180,000 miles of reliable service.

Originally Posted By: stubbakatt

What does owning a Hyundai have to do with anything? Those are among the best vehicles being manufactured today.

Hyundai has definitely come a long way since the cars they brought to North America back in the mid 80s! The stuff they've got now is very nice, that new Genesis coupe is sweet!

On the original subject, I agree that you could go 2-3 years between changes. I have been doing 2 year/7500 mile intervals with my Mom's VW Golf, using GC 0w30 and the OEM VW oil filter, and the oil analysis results have shown it to be perfectly safe. She used to do a lot of short trips with that car too.

Whoa! Now there's the pot calling the kettle black! A Hyundai owner telling someone else he drives junk?

Now that's funny!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back