Onions, garlic and leeks

I will be first to admit; I love a good half or whole raw onion with some olive oil and pepper a day. Raw in fact. Was at local restaurant with Jerry (nuclear plant worker) and great friend and his brother Joe (sleepy Joe) as he’s known and Jerry said Joe will eat a whole raw onion a day. Supposedly they are very good for us. I know garlic and leeks and onions are good. Anyone elaborate on this?

Thank You kindly 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍

I'm a huge fan of onions. White, sweet, Spanish, and red especially. Use onions often in recipes and of course salads. Lot's of salads in this house. I'm not eating them raw on their own though! Interested to see what the gallery has to say. My grandmother always said onions are good for the gut!

I'm a huge fan of onions. White, sweet, Spanish, and red especially. Use onions often in recipes and of course salads. Lot's of salads in this house. I'm not eating them raw on their own though! Interested to see what the gallery has to say. My grandmother always said onions are good for the gut!
Sir, I do know they say if you have GI issues to steer clear of them.

I will be first to admit; I love a good half or whole raw onion with some olive oil and pepper a day. Raw in fact. Was at local restaurant with Jerry (nuclear plant worker) and great friend and his brother Joe (sleepy Joe) as he’s known and Jerry said Joe will eat a whole raw onion a day. Supposedly they are very good for us. I know garlic and leeks and onions are good. Anyone elaborate on this?

Thank You kindly 🇺🇸🇨🇦👍
Everything in the onion family is healthy due to antioxidants, mineral content, and anti-inflammatory properties. They help lower triglycerides and prevent blood clots. They are also effective for indirect birth control and crowd control.

I've heard that before. Google it.

I stopped eating onion out of respect for my customers when I started my retail business. And the hardest customers to stand across the counter and wait on were the ones who obviously enjoyed the 3 pungent things you mention. We dreaded spring in NW Pa when the old guys would be out hunting up new leeks to make leek sandwiches then come in the store. :sick: I never could eat anything with much garlic because I'd taste it, smell it on my skin, and pee it for 2 days after.

Maybe the upside to this pandemic are face masks and plexi shields at sales counters.

But they are good for you!

:eek: :eek:
I've heard that before. Google it.

I stopped eating onion out of respect for my customers when I started my retail business. And the hardest customers to stand across the counter and wait on were the ones who obviously enjoyed the 3 pungent things you mention. We dreaded spring in NW Pa when the old guys would be out hunting up new leeks to make leek sandwiches then come in the store. :sick: I never could eat anything with much garlic because I'd taste it, smell it on my skin, and pee it for 2 days after.

Maybe the upside to this pandemic are face masks and plexi shields at sales counters.

But they are good for you!
I had a dentist once who reeked of garlic and onions. Emphasis on had. I'm not super-sensitive toward bad odors but I do not want a misty warm cloud of eye-and-nasal-passages-burning swamp gas in my face.

I use raw garlic as an antibiotic. Haven't had to go to the doctor for an infection in close to 2 decades. The sulfur-based organic compound in garlic (the medical part of it), which not cooked, is highly water soluble and makes its way into just about every part of the human body, thus why one's breath/sweat smells even a day after eating it.

I also take a couple of cloves of raw garlic when camping or traveling in case I think I ate something bad that might get worse without intervention. A clove of raw garlic downed with a bunch of water will nuke just about any pathogen that may enter through the digestive system.

I often chop onion and bacon finely and fry and render until brown and crispy. Then use that as a topping for mashed potatoes. Also great on Brussels sprouts. Bacon and onion, what could be better?
I won’t eat Brussels Sprouts lol my dad puts cheese on his Brussels Sprouts. I’ll put bacon, chives, sour cream, butter in my baked potato for mashed potatoes only gravy or nothing.

Yeah I don’t know too many people who make homemade mashed potatoes.
I always have cooked potatoes in my fridge. I grab a couple, mash them up with a little milk and some butter, add salt and pepper, rosemary, maybe some nutmeg, throw some chopped parsley in there. Maybe fried bacon and onions on top. Much better than that stuff out of a cardboard box.

I always have cooked potatoes in my fridge. I grab a couple, mash them up with a little milk and some butter, add salt and pepper, rosemary, maybe some nutmeg, throw some chopped parsley in there. Maybe fried bacon and onions on top. Much better than that stuff out of a cardboard box.
That sounds great. Yeah we go to the store to the refrigerated section and get the potatoes you heat up in the microwave.

I'll eat raw onions on a burger. I've been to a few places where the burger was somewhat pricey and the onions looked like they were brined or pickled. In-N-Out uses a single, solid center-cut slice from a white onion. I'm not sure what they do with the rest of the onion though.

I worked part-time at a place where we received a gift from one of our customers, which was an onion grower in Hawaii. They sent us a box, although I'm not sure if it was from Hawaii (would have cost a small fortune) or from a local distributor. We were talking about how sweet they were supposed to be, so I peeled it and then took a bite into one. I then regretted it for the next hour. Even though it was a sweet onion, it still stung my tongue and eyes.

Back