One uoa good results 30 versus 20 weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would a great place to post uoa's with different weight oils in a hemi, I invite you too.

We're not trying to prove anything, you are. Both grades work. I decline the invitation, thanks.

Actually I figured as much, talk is cheap. I am not trying to prove anything, just trying to suggest people with a hemi not bother with the "oil guys" here as they have some weird agenda and follow your own common sense. More film strength better at reducing wear, and there is a way to test for it.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
I'm not sure what the point of this is but we've got a 1996 Crown Victoria that was purchased with 65,000 miles from an auction.

Today we've got 320,000 miles + on the engine and we've used 5w20,and 5w30 and the car is basically rusting apart so what difference does it make if your using a 20 vs a 30 weight? The car/truck is going to run forever if you take care of it!

He's in Sonoma. The chassis could last 50 years...

SAE 30 is a great oil when you don't have to be concerned with cold winter starts. No VII's at all. 100% oil all the time. Good enough for many uses as long as the climate cooperates
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by burla
Actually I figured as much, talk is cheap. I am not trying to prove anything, just trying to suggest people with a hemi not bother with the "oil guys" here as they have some weird agenda and follow your own common sense. More film strength better at reducing wear, and there is a way to test for it.

Your confused. Film strenght does not equal less wear. How many profiles do you have? Why are you unable to present your data to support your conclusions?

If you are talking RAT...consider this...he's measuring the scar that's left...that's a WEAR scar...and using the load applied over the surface area to claim that's the "film strength" of the oil, and more "pressure" is better.

Out and out wrong, when it comes to engines...and I repeat again...he's measuring a WEAR SCAR...the oils didn't prevent wear, or he'd have nothing to measure.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Your confused. Film strenght does not equal less wear. How many profiles do you have? Why are you unable to present your data to support your conclusions?

Lol, wow another baseless attack from a shill. I promise you I have one "profile" as in I don't really prefer posting over here, this place is absolutely miserable, lol. I can't even get guys to post over here. And you are seriously wrong, but rather then argu with someone who loves to argue, I will just leave a link from machinelube to do the talking for me.

importance of film strength

Another reason to consider real synthetic high viscosity high additive oils, not only film thickness but also they have better film strength!

The references in the article has just a hair more credibility then dave the "oil guy", lol.

References
Fitch, E.C. (1992). "Proactive Maintenance for Mechanical Systems."

Fitch, J.C., Scott, R., & Leugner, L. (2012). "The Practical Handbook of Machinery Lubrication - Fourth Edition."

Fein, R.S. (1991). "Lubrication Engineering." Journal of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers.

Fein, R.S. (1997). "Boundary Lubrication Relations." Tribology Data Handbook.

Rabinowicz, E. (2014). "Friction." Access Science.

Mortier, R.M., Fox, M.F., & Orszulik, S.T. (2010). "Chemistry and Technology of Lubricants - 3rd Edition."

Rigney, D.A. (1980). "Fundamentals of Friction and Wear of Materials." ASM

Looks like 30 weight is doing a little better in this 390 hp vehicle, that's all. hemi's are high wear engine and prone to have issues, and yes some go 390k miles on grand dads oil, but why ever have an oil forum, lol.

UOAs are not suitable for comparing oil to oil for wear. That's been explained here by tribologists and formulators. Now, that's not to say a 30 grade isn't suitable or anything. However, my reason for choosing a 30 over a 20 would be just as scientific. A 3 on an oil bottle is prettier than a 2.

Now, there certainly may be less wear. There are many scientific reasons to believe that. Higher HTHS bats pretty much right at the top. You don't need to trot out the tea leaves to stand behind the assertion, though.

ad hominem, when you loose your point based on facts, attack the person. When you make it about the person, you are conceding you already lost the argument and you want to attack my character. Because when you read the link on film strength, you know I just won the day, All you circle jerks can post whatever from wherever you like, I'm not hard to find and I don't hide. I post for guys with hemi's who can benefit from the science I post. Most of the theories have been proven by quiet engines and low wear numbers. None of the "oil guys" here have ever bothered to bring this type pf info forward. Since the thread will just be more baseless attacks, I will just leave the info here for those searching for it. That link from machinelube demolishes all of the "oil hacks" from this website who have major hang ups.

Again though, UOA wear numbers are not scientific evidence of reduced wear. We don't need to bring out the tea leaves to demonstrate that higher viscosity has a tendency to lower wear.

People tend to get emotional about viscosity discussions. Even though we are talking about lubricants, it doesn't alleviate the excessive friction. :)

Originally Posted by wemay
You don't want to get the same reputation here...

I think it's past that already. Every thread with b***** participating in turns into insults and a Redline gushfest.

Originally Posted by JAG
People tend to get emotional about viscosity discussions. Even though we are talking about lubricants, it doesn't alleviate the excessive friction. :)

I like this guy.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by wemay
You don't want to get the same reputation here...

I think it's past that already. Every thread with b***** participating in turns into insults and a Redline gushfest.

You will lose more and more credibility every time you open your moth dude, does that even bother you? When random posters with 3k plus posts at Bob's are doing the same thing as 30 plus people on the hemi sites. Redline kills ticks little weak group 3 leave behind. fact not fiction, I promise you the more buys from bob's that get this info and run it you will loose every time you open your mouth dude. I just sit back and watch and laugh. I'm done posting UNLESS something new comes up. The only reason for the latest posts were long term uoa's, again that show you are just ill informed and a miserable negative poster. Probably still mad over Hilary losing or something, but you have been miserable since my first post, which you misunderstood how thorough the tests and theories were. That was on you not me, miserable sol.

And I pointed out the discrepancy in the mileage accumulated on the 20 weights vs the others.

If you are going to post comparisons then make them fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back