One uoa good results 30 versus 20 weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pointed out what I already posted? You want a brownie button or you think I didn't consider that already. Your assumptions are many, and are off. I was already past that and was considering iron per mile and the 20 w runs were higher. Like I said like ten times, this is for every individual to consider who has one of these engines. A bunch of "oil guys" saying it is baseless or doesn't matter are NOT driving or paying for your equipment. We find interesting uoa's every dau, we just got a very interesting case 2 minutes ago, but unless he posts it here I surely wont, lol. Not in this miserable place. The attacks here go past the honest questioning of numbers and what they possibly mean.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by burla
You pointed out what I already posted? You want a brownie button or you think I didn't consider that already. Your assumptions are many, and are off. I was already past that and was considering iron per mile and the 20 w runs were higher. Like I said like ten times, this is for every individual to consider who has one of these engines. A bunch of "oil guys" saying it is baseless or doesn't matter are NOT driving or paying for your equipment. We find interesting uoa's every dau, we just got a very interesting case 2 minutes ago, but unless he posts it here I surely wont, lol. Not in this miserable place. The attacks here go past the honest questioning of numbers and what they possibly mean.

I for one have had enough of your posts with your attitude,congrats your the first on my ignore list!

I am only here for one reason, and that reason is near satisfied, don't waste your energy. I want to share the info about battling hemi tick with lubrication and getting people to put some thought into lubricating these hemi's past the info they get here from a bunch of people who don't have hemi's and aren't particularly interested in new data, 80% of the people that have tried it beat it by changing to the right oil. I certainly didn't invent arguing at Bob's, this place is a pit of misery. And my bad luck was that is was an oil that seams to be some type of threat that whenever it gets mentioned a bunch of the miserable crowd throw shade all over the place. I have helped many people even myself end the scourge that is hemi tick. And I have ruffled plenty of feathers, but most of them brought their baggage into my new conversation and I have limited patience for absolute nags. There is a ton of stuff the main posters missed, because they didn't bring that information to this forum, in fact they resist it with every post, and meanwhile guys keep killing tiks and long term wear looks great. Hopefully more guys here kill hemi tick like over there, and someone else can argue with the ignorance here. Because the fact is the oils that are leaving those ticks are often the favorite oils in this forum, lol. And if guys keep running those oils they will keep ticking, it is not only film thickness it is film strength and if you bother to read the last link I posted you would know. Those people are the truth, that reference page is the truth, I'm just a guy who tried something and had it work, who convinced a small group and they had the same result, and then they convinced a larger group and the success continued. There are huge benefits from pao/ester based formulas with high additives the oils guys are not considering. It isn't just viscosity, but at a minimum guys should consider that, but also the formula that hemi's benefit from.

The references in the article has just a hair more credibility then dave the "oil guy", lol.

References
Fitch, E.C. (1992). "Proactive Maintenance for Mechanical Systems."

Fitch, J.C., Scott, R., & Leugner, L. (2012). "The Practical Handbook of Machinery Lubrication - Fourth Edition."

Fein, R.S. (1991). "Lubrication Engineering." Journal of the Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers.

Fein, R.S. (1997). "Boundary Lubrication Relations." Tribology Data Handbook.

Rabinowicz, E. (2014). "Friction." Access Science.

Mortier, R.M., Fox, M.F., & Orszulik, S.T. (2010). "Chemistry and Technology of Lubricants - 3rd Edition."

Rigney, D.A. (1980). "Fundamentals of Friction and Wear of Materials." ASM

What's your understanding of the cited publications with respect to your assertion on film strength, and the easy measurement thereof ?

Ref 1 - no mention of film strength
Ref 2 - no mention of film strength
Ref 3 - no mention of film strength
Ref 4 - no mention of film strength
Ref 5 - no mention of film strength
Ref 6 - no mention of film strength.

Would you mind explaining what YOU mean by "film strength", and how we can tell what it is, and how it's measured ?

4 UOAs of varying vis prove ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. NONE. ZIP. NADA.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-how-to-decide-what-is-normal/
There is no conclusion to draw from these four UOAs, other than to say anyone whom thinks they can draw a conclusion regarding wear and vis from such a small data sample set is utterly and completely wrong.
End of discussion in that regard.

Let's lower the tensions here, shall we?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigShug681
I find it interesting that every single post you make ends in the same fashion....

To which are you referring?

The fact that most folks here completely misunderstand how to use UOAs, or interpret the data therein?
21.gif

Or, the fact that folks need to un-wad their panties, take a breath, and relax 'cuz it's just the internet?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
5w20 will destroy my engine B.S. If you have a problem bring it to dealer. If you want heavy oil by all means go for it but to blatantly say oil grade manufacturer recommends is fault and blindly follow you lead is not helping. Most without tick have ran conventional 5w20 grade with top tier fuels. They're many articles on this with MDS lifter to piston skirts as well as injectors causing noises. No oil is going to fix but will cover up problem.

we are past the uoa's, film strength link seals the deal.

Even if true there are no accurate, reliable and repeatable measurements of film strength for motor oils unless you know of a source I haven't seen. Therefore it is impossible to distinguish if one particular oil is better or worse than another.

That's more made up than using a UOA to distinguish wear rates.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Originally Posted by BigShug681
I find it interesting that every single post you make ends in the same fashion....

To which are you referring?

The fact that most folks here completely misunderstand how to use UOAs, or interpret the data therein?
21.gif

Or, the fact that folks need to un-wad their panties, take a breath, and relax 'cuz it's just the internet?
grin2.gif

The second part lol, this place gets really heated over some of the craziest stuff

Rat has been up many times, what the sam h e double hockey sticks does that have to do with me? Nobody wants to read the link from machinelube. If you are talking about rat 540 or whatever that is, that dude's test were fatally flawed. He tested the strength of vii's and clean oil, it has nothing to do with how an oil works in an engine. Many of you keep coming at ME, but not the information posted with a group of references of true oil people, not internet hucksters. I promise you none of you will be there paying the freight when some poor sap bought a hemi and ran 20 weight oil and is facing a cam/lifter swap. Research both sides and have a strategy is what I am suggesting.

Rat has been up many times, what the sam h e double hockey sticks does that have to do with me? Nobody wants to read the link from machinelube. If you are talking about rat 540 or whatever that is, that dude's test were fatally flawed. He tested the strength of vii's and clean oil, it has nothing to do with how an oil works in an engine. Many of you keep coming at ME, but not the information posted with a group of references of true oil people, not internet hucksters. I promise you none of you will be there paying the freight when some poor sap bought a hemi and ran 20 weight oil and is facing a cam/lifter swap. Research both sides and have a strategy is what I am suggesting.

I've read it and I replied to you about the bibliography, requesting from you further details on
a) your understanding of what it is
b) how it's measured.

And you've ignored EVERYTHING that I have posted in the thread.

So please...a) and b)

edit...And I also posted the results of what happens when you search "film strength" and engine component wear....

It's not a term that engineers are taught in their tribology training, and those who DO use it are usually purveyors of snake oil.

Last edited:
Film strength: I.E. the distance the droplets travel after a puddle of oil is smashed with a hammer.

Similar To: Grease "Pound-Out".

Completely reliable and measurable metrics of lubricant performance.

I'm sorry. I had to do it. These and other marketing rhetoric have been around a long time to be regurgitated by blind faith ditto-heads.

Sidebar; All of my cars which specify 20 weight oil have 30 weight oil in them. But not because of a four ball wear test I viewed on the internet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back