One step away from the Stone Age

Yes, we are, imho-- Did you see Texas, or the other stormed in states,,,ok, its boyscout time,,,one colman stove,and an lp gas tank, water and blankets and such, you can figure that out,me, got a Coleman stove, and lantern, water jugs on hand ,toilet paper lol, can goods, if your on meds of some kind get more...yes we are just one step away from the Stone Age, we all live like nothing can go wrong,,,yes I am in that boat,,,what could possibly gone wrong,,,you do remember the toilet paper caper-- that toilet paper deal brought us almost to our knees,,,now that was funny,,,amazing what a priority that was, yes its funny now,,wasn't then..I l carry toilet paper in the car now,,well u never know,,
PS, do not forget to put your oil pan plug back in before pouring your oil in the engine,,,its a thought,lol... dont forget your facemask,,,,mercy sakes.

Last edited:
Lots of lessons to be learned there sadly. For starters IMO wind turbines and solar panels need some tweaking. Especially if the plan is to go all EV.
27.gif

It will be interesting to see what people learn from this weather.
Different parts of the Country experience different emergencies.

You either take care of yourself, or let the government do it for you.
I have ALWAYS asked myself, what if ? .... what would I do ?

It will be interesting to see what people learn from this weather.
Different parts of the Country experience different emergencies.

You either take care of yourself, or let the government do it for you.
I have ALWAYS asked myself, what if ? .... what would I do ?

Also, in a disaster you should expect to be on your own for the first 48-72 hours or even longer depending on where you live.

But at least the fireplace can be used to boil water and warm the immediate area. Without a largely-for-decoration-fireplace people wouldn't have a reason to have wood on hand. (That being said, yes, I would much prefer a modern wood stove.)

They are also banned in many places. Yep, banned. They contribute to particulate air pollution - it's an anti-smog measure.
Good point, however you need to check the specific regs and many jurisdictions allow high efficiency sealed wood stoves with their own air intakes and apparatus to re-burn the combustion smoke. My chimney for my high efficiency wood stove only smokes upon startup. My neighbours spews smoke all the time. It’s a remarkable difference.

Last edited:
They are also banned in many places. Yep, banned. They contribute to particulate air pollution - it's an anti-smog measure.
Even in places where they are not banned the increase in homeowners insurance make them cost prohibitive. Many insurance companies will not provide coverage at any price if you burn wood inside your home.

Back