One quart of oil per 3k .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also depends on the vehicle, the type of driving, and whether it is synthetic or conventional oil. But from almost any per spective 3K is good.

I was adding more than that to the 1992 Grand Am HO Quad 4 I had
from when it was new. I am very relieved my 02 Cavalier Ecotec
goes 3 months without adding any. I don't ever remember adding oil
to my 77 Chevy LUV between changes.

Check your owners manual or dealer. Chances are it will say your
usage is normal. It has been my experience most engines don't use
much oil and most of what must be replaced is from leaks. it is tough
getting the dealer to do anything.

Per GM tech bulletins:

1qt/2k acceptable

In our 2 GM cars...they consistently burn 1qt/3k miles to the dot...mobil 1, RP, just seem to be more burn happy then dino tho. But the rates are pretty much the same...ol or new engine.

Maybe I'm super picky but I find anything more than one quart per 6k undesirable. My wife's car uses less than 100ml in 10,000km, my car used to leak one qt per 6k, but after the second RX treatment it's now at one qt per 10k.

My 1997 Maxima with the 3.0 liter VQ has consistently used between 2/3 and 1 qt. per 3000 miles from the beginning up to it's present 97,000 miles. Over this time, the rate of usage has not increased at all and I've got good wear numbers. I run Mobil 1.

I think 1 qt per 3000 miles is acceptable. I would use that as a baseline and monitor the rate of usage over time. If this continues to go up, well, I'm guessing there's a problem.

I know that everyone here, myself included, is more than a little "anal" about oil. People who expect essentially zero oil consumption must drive dealer service departments nuts. Some oil consumption is normal in a 4-stroke engine. Certain GM engines seem to be on the high side, but that does not mean that anything is wrong. Low friction piston ring designs combined with water-thin recommended lubricants maximize CAFE. Remember, engineering is always a comprimise.

Once I started flying small airplanes, I stopped worrying about adding a little oil between changes on cars and trucks. A perfectly healthy four cyinder Lycoming uses a quart of SAE 50 in less than ten hours of running time. That works out to 600-800 miles in training operations.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Maybe I'm super picky but I find anything more than one quart per 6k undesirable. My wife's car uses less than 100ml in 10,000km, my car used to leak one qt per 6k, but after the second RX treatment it's now at one qt per 10k.

lol.gif
lol.gif
crushedcar.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back